Sublime Forum

Signatures popup disappears after typing any parameter text

I’m a user of the Anaconda Python IDE plugin for Sublime Text (not to be confused with the data science platform by the same name). For those not familiar, it offers features like autocomplete, linting, and popup signatures + docstrings for Python.

I’ve filed a bug that I’ve described in detail below. The author of the project, DamnWidget replied to the issue, confirming the behavior, and said that he’s not exactly sure what’s causing it. And that he’s had a hard time in the past with making the popups behave in a certain way via the plugin API. Being that he’s now working on a re-write, he doesn’t have enough time to chase this down. I offered to make a post here to see if the Sublime Text developers or anyone else familiar with the plugin API could take a look at the code and see if there’s anything obviously wrong.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? And if there is any quick solution to fix it?

Expected Behaviour

If I were to type out the following function from a blank Python script:

def foo(bar, baz, boo=True, boy=False, bob=1):

The signature popup happens after ‘(’ is pressed. Now IMO, the expected behavior would be that the signature pop-up should stay on the screen until I’m done typing in parameters. If I’ve got a list of 5 parameters for a function, and I start typing in the first one, chances are I’ll forget what the fifth one is by the time I get that far.

It seemed to work as expected a few months back, I’m assuming an upgrade to Sublime Text or Anaconda broke it?

Actual Behaviour

Assuming same function as above. Start typing new function def foo … As soon as ( is pressed, the popup signature and docstring shows up as expected. So far so good. Now as I start to type bar, the auto-suggest pops up. This makes the signature popup go away. I cannot, no matter what I do or try to change, get it back unless I literally delete all of the parameter data, then it will pop back up.

ST3, Anaconda and OS versions

• Python: 3.5.1 64-bit
  • ST3 version 3126
  • Anaconda version: 2.1.13.
2 Likes

Doesn’t exactly sound like an issue with ST itself, though we can’t find it out. I don’t have the time to go big hunting either, but to me this sounds like anaconda is somehow preventing itself from properly showing the popup in some situations.

0 Likes