Sublime Forum

Screen tearing - could we get a VSync option?

First of all, Hello everyone, I just started using ST3 to code in JS. Overall it’s good experience, but there are few things that bother me.

One of them is screen tearing when scrolling. Now, I know it’s not an AAA game, but still, it’s detrimental to my experience. A VSync option would be nice. I’m using Windows 10, not sure if the same screen tearing happens on other systems.

Another thing is tab close behavior. Right now I’m using TabsExtra so that when I close a tab the one to the right is focused, not the one to the left. It does its job but it’s not ideal, this should be a configurable option IMO, along with an option to choose where a new tab is opened.

That is all, thanks :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Are you running Sublime Text 3 in full screen on Windows 10? If so, do you see tearing when in windowed mode?

0 Likes

I’m running ST3 in windowed mode, I just checked and I get the same tearing in full screen.

0 Likes

I presume this is on a physical machine, not a VM? What resolution is the screen it is running on? Is the monitor running off of some sort of USB display adapter, or something like that? Basically I’m just trying to figure out if there is some aspect we can dig further into.

From my understanding from speaking with Jon, it isn’t possible to control vsync/double buffering from an app. Windows 7 using the Aero theme, and Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 automatically provide double buffering, and there isn’t a way to disable it, so theoretically this shouldn’t be happening.

From searching online, it seems like some users are having tearing issues with different programs and games on Windows 10 with nvidia GPUs.

0 Likes

Physical machine, 2x 1080p monitors, one connected with HDMI, one with DVI, same effect on both of them.

I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the system, I made a test file filled with one character and scrolled it in a few editors and even in a web browser and they all scrolled through it fine without any tearing, it only shows in ST3.

One other thing I noticed while testing is that the tear lines are not perfectly vertical, but rather there are a few smaller lines throughout the editor view. Since tearing doesn’t show on screenshots I made a picture: Imgur, disregard the monitor blur.

0 Likes

Do you have another machine you can test on? Unfortunately I can’t reproduce the issue on my Windows 10, however it is a VM sitting on top of OS X.

Also, what kind of graphics card are you running (make and model)? Do you have the 3d drivers installed? Again, just trying to figure out if there is any extra info that would be helpful in debugging what is going on.

0 Likes

It’s a GTX 970, latest drivers. I have a laptop with Intel iGPU and Windows 10 and there is no tearing as far as I can tell. So that means it’s got something to do with Nvidia? But wouldn’t it also create tearing in other programs not only in ST3?

0 Likes

From googling “windows 10 tearing” I found http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-screen-tearing/a520fe63-9a88-4994-be39-5d08930edab1. It includes a bunch of references to users running nvidia cards. https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3gsa4h/screen_tearing_since_new_patch/ mentions that the GTX970 seems to be an issue.

I’m not sure why certain programs would be affected and others not. Perhaps the ones without issues use DirectX or OpenGL?

0 Likes

Well I don’t know what else to say other than that for me, of all the apps and games I use, only ST3 has tearing. Maybe someone else with some other Nvidia GPU can check on their system and see if there’s tearing?

0 Likes

I have tearing, too.
Sublime Text 3, Window 7, NVidia 970 GPU.

0 Likes

I have tearing too. I’ve had it for over 2 years, through windows 7, 8, and now 10, but just haven’t mentioned it. I also have a mac with parallels and sublime doesn’t have tearing there because it’s through a different rendering system with vsync built right into the VM.

I’m sure it’s Sublime Text 3’s issue, and most people just don’t consciously notice tearing or care enough to mention it, but it bugs most people subconsciously, and a few people consciously. Please do fix it if you can. Thanks!

0 Likes

I too have diagonal tearing.

Sublime Text 3. Linux Mint. Intel graphics (with various fixes for tearing that work on all my other programs).

0 Likes

possibly related:

0 Likes