Sublime Forum

Screen drawing performance much worse on laptop vs external monitor

I am running Sublime Text 3208 (dev channel) on a 13-inch 2017 MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14.4. At work, I often have my MBP plugged into a 4k external monitor. When a Sublime window is on the laptop screen, drawing speed is really slow. It’s not that Sublime itself seems to be sluggish, it’s that scrolling, highlighting text, typing, etc. all have significant latency, almost as if it’s running at a different framerate there.

What’s surprising is that the external monitor has a higher resolution than the MBP screen, but performance is nice and snappy when a window is on that screen.

Since first encountering this issue, I have also started seeing it when using the MBP even without an external laptop connected.

0 Likes

Maybe it’s because Apple set the MBP to do extra work (supersampling+downscaling) out of the box:

Try setting the internal display to its one true resolution as described.

0 Likes

Didn’t do the trick, but I appreciate the attempt.

Is there any diagnostic output from Sublime that could be helpful to provide?

0 Likes

OSX 10.14.4 had a lot of gpu driver bugs. We disabled certain optimizations to prevent crashes: Crash or Memory Leak on macOS Mojave 10.14.4?

I’d suggest updating to 10.14.5 to fix the issue.

2 Likes

A while back I had to turn off GPU acceleration because of an issue with screen sharing. And then I noticed the slowness on my laptop, a very modern 15" Mac Book Pro.

So I changed this setting back to auto:

"gpu_window_buffer": "auto",

and it solved all my performance issues.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

I upgraded to 10.14.5 and the issue was fixed. Thanks all.

0 Likes