Sublime Forum

Projects and Workspaces

Thanks the heads up on mylyn. I tend to use eclipse a bit these days for android dev. By god is it slow!!! Android development in general kinda sucks.

Note also, you can make symbolic links to your *.sublime-project files, so as to keep essentially the same settings/folders.

0 Likes

I’m all in for separate workspaces. Having the ability for a “quick shift” between features (e.g. having client stuff separate from server stuff) would be an awesome addition to my toolbox, and I do not personally think that having to save the workspace separately from the project even remotely approaches “increased complexity” (As long as it still autosaves the workspace when it has been created. :wink: )

0 Likes

Weeks later, now that I know that a quick way to create, switch to, and delete workspaces could exist, I keep finding reasons why I’d want to use it.

0 Likes

I’ve got to say I would also find this really useful. What’s the current status of this feature?

0 Likes

Multiple workspaces for a project would be very helpful indeed. Fast switching between projects and workspaces is essential - otherwise additional steps to set up the workspaces as such is not a deal breaker.

0 Likes

What’s implemented in Sublime Text 3 is a hybrid of the initial two proposals: interface wise things mostly work like S2, but you can make additional workspaces for the current project (via the Project menu).

0 Likes

I’m excited about this feature. If some of the plugins I’ve already purchased worked for Sublime 3, I’d already be using that version.

0 Likes

I would like to see the ability to have one instance of ST3 active yet have multiple projects open.

Right now I am working on two related projects. an android NDK library which will be a sort of interperter that I can use in a game I am developing. This library is a separate project to the “source” files it would be interpreting for this game because i could potentailly use this same library for ANY other android application i develop. Each application would have its own scripts.

I am currently forced to have two instances of ST3 open. One for the lib/interpreter and the other for the games scripts. If I close one instance of ST3 and then teh other I will not get both of these projects opening back up when i re-launch. if i quit out of X and thus KILL both intances then launcting ST3 opens both back up. It would be nice to be able to close ST3 and have both projects open back up on launch - it would be MAJORLY preferable to only have to have a single instance of ST3 open back up :smile:

Also: How about an option for a ~/.st3 where all project files get created. if the “PROJECT_FOLDER” or whatever setting is left blank then project files get created in the current working directory.

0 Likes

Can it be made possible that when within a current project, the workspace switcher (which should be a separate feature/panel from the project switcher) would only make workspaces within my project available?

This would allow me to name a workspace based on the feature and it doesn’t require some project tag within the namespace. Also makes the panel itself less cluttered.

Also with the current 3114 release is there any requirements in order to create a new workspace? I see the option under Project but it is greyed out. Also planning on binding it to a key so that I can create new workspaces on the fly.

0 Likes

Seems there is no clear, to me, definition of a Project VS a Workspace, and up to some extend, the implementation goes in diferente direction than expected.

To me, if a project should have multiple workspaces (and that seems great), it should be a way to go from one to another.

I see a Project indeed need a workspace:

• lets call the default
  • it needs same filename (with diferent extension)

And as a workspace:

• it can not be saved outside of the scope of a project
  • it use the project setting file, only to keep track of the folders added to the project

Personally, I found very useful the workspace thing to keep unsaved data (like to-dos) and separate by different workspaces, different kind os tasks (documentation, development, some_feature, etc…)

SO, I PROPOSE :

A - add a reference into the project settings file to the workspaces it contain

B - add a new section in the side bar, with the workspaces for the project (easy navigation)

C - take away the workspaces from the switch-project view ( CTRL + ALT + P) that is confusing, at least, when the project is not open, or make a dependency

I know this is an old topic, and maybe nobody is using the workspaces, so, why to keep it then ??

1 Like