Sublime Forum

Project alive?

Good enough for me. I would just add, I have to imagine if everyone complaining paid for this software there would be more motivation to more frequently communicate. I can barely afford to pay attention but I consider my purchase money well spent. I am comfortable being the guardian of the developer’s solitude, even if I am a bit jealous.

0 Likes

For the people saying it doesn’t work on recent Linux versions: I’ve used Sublime Text 3’s dev version (3095 now) for a long time now without any major problems like crashing or such. And that’s been on (X)Ubuntu 12.04 up to 15.10 now.

2 Likes

I use ST3 on xubuntu on 15.10, too.

Have you had any issues with scrolling speed? I have to set "scroll_speed": 0, in my preferences, otherwise ST3 slows to a crawl when scrolling.

0 Likes

I’m using the default setting, no issues. I’m using the official Nvidia drivers though. So maybe that explains why I have not encountered it.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s on the way even if the project is alive (which I think it is).

Git integration and such is for plugins. ST is a programming editor, focusing on writing code, not an IDE coming with every programming related tool pre-installed.

Same (and even more so) goes for color pickers and live preview.

0 Likes

Never had ANY issues/crashes on the Mac, and I’m on El Capitan since the beta (ST3 dev build – can’t speak for ST2, as I’ve moved on since 2 years ago).

Maybe your issues are with specific ST add-ons plugins you’ve installed?

1 Like

I run ST3 on Windows 10 (regular and Insider release channel), Mac OSX (El Capitan beta), as well as Debian Linux without any issues on any platforms. Love how stable it is.

1 Like

“Trick”? Minimum amount of work possible? Where the fuck do people get those ideas from?

Jon has built the BEST commercial programming editor (not IDE) out there. And then version 2, and then version 3, which while in beta I’ve used for 2 years in dev builds with no issues (OS X, YMMV in other platforms). And has already been working on the ST4 architecture as was stated before.

The TextMate guy left users with just v1 (which was ho-hum), and never delivered the promised v2 for over 6 years. At least ST “in-development” version (ST3) has been already functional for 2+ years, and Jon’s last dev build was from around July IIRC.

The thing is, ST chose to publish some dev and beta builds too. From most companies you don’t get ANY interim versions. You get a release now, then another release after 2 years – or even 4-5 years in some cases. Are those products “dead”?

3 Likes

Compared to which non-open source project for which you get insight into its development efforts?

Most companies just dump a new release after 2-3 years and that’s it.

0 Likes

I am too lazy to switch. I got a good workflow in ST3, but I too am concerned about the future. What if the developer decides he doesn’t want to work on it anymore or cannot work on it for other reasons?

What is the contigency plan? Open sourcing it and asking for donations could go a long way.

0 Likes

Sales faq

Upgrade Policy
A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.

0 Likes

I was pointing out the fact that users who purchased a license before ST3 was announced, still get to update their license and do not have to re-buy, as the section I quoted implied.

1 Like

According to this thread though, pretty much all that matters is the commit frequency and this project delivers — so I really don’t see why I should choose atom over nano!

I think people are legitimately afraid that the project is dead, because we are dealing with proprietary software here. We are at the developers’ mercy when it comes to updates. Not so with the other editors you mentioned. Vim users were unhappy with its maintainers’ updates and created NeoVim, for example.

0 Likes

It works just fine for me on the latest version Linux Mint. I’ve never had an issue with ST on any Linux distro.

0 Likes

It’s alive: dev Build 3098 is out now :sunglasses:

0 Likes

But most of us are on build 3099 :wink:

0 Likes

It’s alive Indeed :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

it’s now 3100 :smiley:

0 Likes

Can this thread be locked now?

0 Likes

closed #97