Sublime Forum

Printing Capability

My claims that there are 2-300 users that ask for printing support? Please check the existing topcis an see how many users are discussing there.

0 Likes

This topic is cute.

Oh, and I also want to mention that I actually have printed several web pages using my browser. The number isn’t huge, but it is certainly higher than the number of times I printed something from a text editor (which is 2 in the recent years).

2 Likes

I like Sublime and a lot of plugins for it.
I use Sublime instead of all my IDEs when I’m coding in different asm languages. I also use it to code with C.

By the way I even use it like COM terminal (edited parts of Stino Plugin) and it’s pretty nice that I can colorize all I need in my text logs with my own language log scheme.

In some tasks I have to print a lot of my logs during one day and I have to mention points of interest (colorized with sublime). But I have to copy all logs in Word, Excel (hex logs), edit them with them and then print it.

0 Likes

2 Likes

I guess the real question is why the few people here that are opposed to having a print function are. It makes little sense to be concerned about a feature that you supposedly rarely use in a program that has many functions that many people using it rarely use. What difference does it make to you who don’t care about it, especially when it’s been on the backburner for 8+ years? Sounds a lot like trolling to me.

1 Like

It’s not that people are against it. No one is against print. Most would welcome it. Jon as made his intentions clear in regards to printing. He has stated that he currently feels his time is better spent elsewhere than devising a cross platform print solution. If he changes is mind, no one would oppose it.

The few people who say they don’t care, understand it is not in the roadmap, and that there is no amount of complaining that is going to change it, and they are okay with that. Those people do not consider printing a pivotal feature, just a nice to have. Would printing be nice? Sure. Are there other ways to print? Definitely. Would I personally use an lesser code editor over Sublime just because it can print? No. But others feel differently.

6 Likes

Still waiting on the “Print” command. Being a coder I really need to print out my source and debug/make comments etc. I get it that the genx folks are trying to be green, good for you go be green elsewhere. If you are charging money for your product, and I am paying for it… I expect to print.
Thanks, and please escalate the Print function issue.

1 Like

Is it possible to sticky an FAQ or something and close topics like this? People keep bumping them without adding anything of value.

0 Likes

I also suggested the same thing, but its better to have bumps on a few topics than lots of duplicate topics

0 Likes

Any occasion I’ve had to print something from Sublime, I just hit

⌘A, ⌘C, ⌘tab to another app that prints, ⌘V, ⌘P

Takes all of 10 seconds.

1 Like

Ah yes…nothing of value, like the recently added 8K monitor support. Talk about a waste of time. LOL!

0 Likes

It’s good that ST doesn’t have printing, otherwise we’d have these obnoxious sorts here all the time.

3 Likes

Wait, didn’t you jump ship for another product? Or did you just update ST so you’d have a reason to come back and grind this axe?

1 Like

If you are not able to figure out another way to print, then I don’t think you should be touching any code.

2 Likes

This sure gets requested a lot for a feature nobody would use.

0 Likes

For what it’s worth, I ended up in this forum because I was certain I must be missing something when I couldn’t find a way to print from sublime.

It’s not a big deal and there are plenty of alternatives. I love sublime for other reasons (huge files, json formatting), but I was surprised. Also surprised by the forum animosity.

To the discussion I will only add this point of view. I wouldn’t bother with a printing plugin specifically because there are so many alternatives at hand and I don’t need it often.

Cheers,
Wallace

0 Likes

Came here for the same issue, considered this as a stable text editor company-wide. But spending 2750 dollars a year for a text editor that can’t print by default is to us just a deal breaker, considering we print many thousands pages of text every year. We are required both by law and clients, to have some of our data in printed form.

Yes, there are plugins and you can of course, install Notepad++, copy it to that, then print there, but honestly it just makes us question what other basic functionality it misses.

0 Likes

For 50-80 dollars per seat, you shouldn’t have to figure out another way.

It would be like buying Excel, only to find out that it can’t calculate and you have to use the calculator for that.

0 Likes

No, it’s like complaining that Excel won’t play your MP3 files.

Now you probably can get Excel to play MP3 files, but you can also get ST to print since there’s a plugin for it.

The reason people like ST is because it’s focused on one thing, and it does it very well: editing text. Printing is not a core function of ST, get over it.

1 Like

Not to mention the fact that also ST’s direct “competitor” (Atom before and VScode now) needs a plugin to print too, so the lack of native printing capability is not so uncommon but pretty standard imho…

2 Likes