Sublime Forum

Pricing for Sublime 2?

You must realize that not all users are as advanced as you are when it comes to scripting and other powerful features that Sublime does indeed have.

I don’t care about those features.

I just want a compact, light memory footprint, smart, editor with syntax highlighting, good indenting, searching, ect.

I totally agree that it’s worth $60 for all it’s features. I’m not going to pay $60 to fulfill my requirements, however.

It’s now up to the developer to decide if they want to find a way to get my money.

0 Likes

@mrBlaQ: you can use notepad++. is free, open source, lightweight, etc.

If you don’t use the editor to make enough money to afford spending (actually investing) $60, probably the alert box that appear once in a while is not that bad…

0 Likes

$60 bucks is the price of a new video game.
$60 bucks is a really CHEAP night out with your wife/girlfriend/whatever (I hope it wasn’t a first date…).
$60 bucks is how much it costs to fill up my car with gas.
$60 bucks is just over half the cost of my mouse.
$60 bucks is half the cost of my keyboard.
$60 bucks is how much I spend on lunches every week.

Now I’m not saying that everyone’s in the same financial situation… yeah, $60 bucks can be a LOT of money, or very little. But when you start comparing it to other things you spend money on, I think most people will find it well worth the money. Here’s an editor that I do 80% or more of my work in (Visual Studio taking the other 20%). Work that pays my bills…

And the torrent thing… I’m still trying to figure out why you’d post that - you do know that it’s illegal right? Not that I’m taking a high road… I’m no stranger to torrents, but I find it laughable that you’d post that here… on the forums where jps reads most of the posts…

Anyway, just had to throw that out there… what are some other things that we spend $60 bucks on without thinking about?

0 Likes

[quote=“mrBlaQ”]You must realize that not all users are as advanced as you are when it comes to scripting and other powerful features that Sublime does indeed have.

I just want a compact, light memory footprint, smart, editor with syntax highlighting, good indenting, searching, ect.

I totally agree that it’s worth $60 for all it’s features. I’m not going to pay $60 to fulfill my requirements, however.

It’s now up to the developer to decide if they want to find a way to get my money.[/quote]

If the developer is to spend thousands of dollars in time and effort necessary to maintain separate versions of the program, I guess the answer to that question is pretty easy.

0 Likes

[quote=“mrBlaQ”]You must realize that not all users are as advanced as you are when it comes to scripting and other powerful features that Sublime does indeed have.

It’s now up to the developer to decide if they want to find a way to get my money.[/quote]

Well put in a feature request for a cripple-ware version capable of meeting your budget. Why do you need Sublime? Describe your must have features and I’m someone could suggest something which meets your “budget”.

0 Likes

I think considering the usual price of software these days $59 is steep. Granted bbedit costs $49.99 but look how long they have been around. That product is well seasoned and stable. If the price of ST2 were $24.95 I would jump on it as would many others I believe. You might try lowering the price for a “sale” period and see how many people feel like me and are waiting for a price they think is fair for alpha/beta software. We should get a deal for being early adopters. You could be pleasantly surprised at the response! All told I really like ST2 and I do what to pay for it and support your efforts, I’m just waiting for a price I deem fair.

0 Likes

Sublime Text 2 isn’t beta software anymore. Even as a release you are allowed to use it as long as you want it only has a nag message that pops up a couple times a day. Your right BBEdit has been around a long time but Sublime has been around for several years (Sublime Text 1). Also Sublime Text 2 is cross platform so you can use it on Windows, Linux and Mac, BBEdit is only Mac.

Making a Text Editor is very very difficult to get right and takes a really high skill set. I think $60 is fair but luckily there are other options out there if you prefer free or something cheaper.

If your a developer you probably spend 80% of your time in the text editor so the price isn’t that important in the long run, how it works is.

I work on a mac so if you need suggestions for other editors on the Mac Platform let me know, I’ve tried most of them.

0 Likes

The second post in this thread:

[quote=“jps”]Sublime Text 2 has always had a nag screen, it just doesn’t show very frequently.

I don’t anticipate the price going down, if there’s any change to the price it would be upward.[/quote]

Also, please refrain from bumping several-month-old topics.

0 Likes

Sorry to keep an old topic going, but I just wanted to add that support is not cheap. Those advocating a lower price tag to bring in a much larger audience, you may not realize that it is not as simple as: 1x59 < 3x25. Tripling/quadrupling/etc. your user base will really change your business, and possibly not in ways that the developer cares to change it. It sounds like this developer is very responsive, which would make this all the more difficult. Having a smaller, and extremely engaged audience (evidence - they spent the ~$59), is likely just the kind of business he wants.

0 Likes

I think this is very apt.

Revenue = x

0 Likes