Sublime Forum

Preferences json not yaml?

problem with most json replacements is that they are mostly targeting JS/Node world, not even close to needed performance level.

IMO JSON is restrictive but you can get the concept in 5min, YAML is packed with stuff like multiline syntax (at least two of them) and utlizes at least two methods of doing same, it’s very hard to learn yaml in short time to use it efficiently.

0 Likes

imo it would already help if you include the information that this is json format. I remember when I started I just copied over the original settings but had no clue what I was basically doing. I missed tons of , at the eol.

Though I prefer if it is just consistent. I do not get why some can be in that format other in two formats and some other can only be in that format. This is rather confusing, hard to document, maintain and contribution requires knowledge about all these formats

0 Likes

Because they are independant and have different ages/origins.

0 Likes

Hjson would have helped there.

Hjson is available on a number of platforms, including Python.

0 Likes

oh, you dont say ? How about that python is not even slightly faster than JS/Node ? Maybe because it’s also interpreted language, not compiled as C++ ?

0 Likes

Sublime is closed source so I have no idea how its config system is implemented. I mentioned Python because that’s what is used for plugins. There are others, see http://hjson.org.

1 Like