Sublime Forum

Plugin_host process has an outgoing network connection, why?

Hello!

So i discovered that the plugin_host process (linux) seems to make a network connection to 45.55.41.223:80 (www.sublimetext.com). Or actually, i have never been able to catch it transmitting any data, but the process has a connection in state CLOSE_WAITING as soon as i have started sublime. What is that about?? Spyware? Hope not:)

I have not installed any plugins at all. I have just now installed v3.0 build 3143.

Paste of a netstat command: https://hastebin.com/egixotuwuq.rb

wbr / Alex

0 Likes

Two reasons why Sublime would talk home at startup are:

1. To see if there is a new version available or not; you can trigger this from the Help menu, but the same check is also done at startup unless you have a licensed copy and you’ve set update_check to false in your user preferences.

2. Sublime transmits a hash of your license information back to the home server at startup to validate whether or not it’s a valid license (e.g. to detect if your license key was leaked or if you purchased a license and then got a refund).

See also:

1 Like

You are right!
I dont know wht i did wrong before (likely a typo), but i couldnt get tcpdump to print any of the network traffic at all.

Now i suddenly see it simply does
GET /updates/3/stable/updatecheck?version=3143&platform=linux&arch=x64&r=1&m=X… HTTP/1.0

Thanks! :slight_smile:

0 Likes