Sublime Forum

Plugin_host crashing on fresh install of Portable ST3 build 3114 Windows

I see that plugin_host crashing is a frequent topic on this forum but didn’t see this particular issue being raised.

I have downloaded a fresh build of Portable ST3 (3114) for Windows (32-bit) on an exFAT formatted USB flash drive. I have not yet installed any packages, not even package control. But as soon as I launch the application the plugin_host crashes and issues the following error:

“Plugin_host has exited unexpectedly, plugin functionality won’t be available until Sublime Text is restarted.”

Following the advice to other posters, I tried erasing Portable ST3, temporarily disabling Anti-Virus software, and downloading it again. This did not solve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Likes

It’s been three days and a fair number of people have viewed this question but none have replied. That makes me think I didn’t write a good question… can any viewers suggest an improvement on the question? Things I can further clarify or test to help forum members think of good answers?

0 Likes

I guess the questions to ask are:

• does it make a difference if you run it from your HDD and not on an exFAT UFD?
  • what version of Windows do you have?
  • does a non portable version work?
  • does an older or newer build work?
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I’m running windows 7, service pack 1 and its a work computer that I don’t have admin privileges on. I can’t install any software on the computer so I can’t verify whether ST will work as a non-portable version or from my HDD. That’s the motivation for getting ST portable to work.

But since you mentioned the formatting of the flash drive, I tried reformatting it NTFS and that resolved the issue. But I was hoping to be able to use the flash drive on both my work PC and my mac at home. And I prefer not to get an NTFS driver for the mac if possible. I also don’t understand why changing the file format would resolve this kind of issue… any thoughts?

0 Likes

no idea why the file system format makes a difference here, but I wonder if it’s worth trying FAT32 instead of exFAT/NTFS? I’m hoping that the Mac won’t need drivers for FAT32 either and that ST would work as expected on FAT32 as well as NTFS…

0 Likes