Sublime Forum

Open Source Sublime Text

Just one simple question: Why?

0 Likes

Is it possible to release source code with copyright?

0 Likes

I have a wish list of enhancements to the syntax engine, but even if the whole thing were open sourced I doubt that more than a handful of people would ever become familiar enough with it to make major changes.. .

2 Likes

or simply use cuda text.

0 Likes

Curious. Can you describe what enhancements youā€™d want in the syntax engine ? The syntax engine has gotten pretty powerful in ST4 with non deterministic parsing & inheritance.

0 Likes

Just commenting to say that I moved onto VSCode long ago. Very glad I didnā€™t stay aboard the sinking ship, based upon the last few big changes to Sublime! Even if Microsoft was wiped from Earth tomorrow (inshallah), I can now control and customise and update the most important tool in my vocation forever, even if it loses so much popularity I have to do all that myself.

0 Likes

Uh, yeah, open-source code exists for as long as it can be stored on hard drives or golden Voyager records or oral tradition or whatever else. I didnā€™t say it open-sourcing would magically pay rent, genius.

0 Likes

ā€œJust commenting to say ā€¦ā€

Solid gold content, thanks for sharing.

0 Likes

I just thought Iā€™d jump in, (instead of doing some useful work). Instead of making it open source can I see the source code for ST4 please? Itā€™s only 64 bit (I still have a 32bit machine, Iā€™ve been upcycling, there are probably still millions of perfectly useable 32 bit machines, you know CO2 an all, and Windows beingā€¦ well handy for us upcyclers) ā€¦so I canā€™t use it and there isnā€™t a 32b version for Linux.
(I canā€™t even use VSCode as there isnā€™t a 32 bit version of that), but Iā€™d be happy to have a crack at converting ST4 to 32 bit, I mean how hard can it be? (itā€™d probably take a team of us, I donā€™t mind signing some kind of disclaimer)? (Or at least have a look and go, ā€œjeesh what a nightmareā€).

Iā€™m not sure what advantages 64bit brings to a text editor ? Anything 32bit will run on a 64bit machine (if your types are defined) no ?

Naturally itā€™s never gonna happen, but thereā€™s a decent reason to let some folks look at the source code, so those of us not at the bleeding edge (at the scabby festering edge) can use ST4 to make the world a better place by using junkā€¦:infinity: :arrows_counterclockwise:

Cheers

Ps Quoting someone whoā€™s quoting Jon Skinner about ST2

"I keep meaning to write a blog post with some details on this, but as with many things, I usually end up coding instead.
Sublime Text 2 is almost entirely C++ (with a smattering of Objective C for Cocoa and Python for plugins). Coding is generally fairly straight forward: code on one platform (mostly Linux at the moment, but I switch around frequently), and then make sure it still compiles elsewhere.

If itā€™s still written mainly in C++ (maybe not any more) I canā€™t see what difference 32 and 64bit makes (except for the compiling) unless thereā€™s some serious bit fiddling going on. Thereā€™s even a 64 bit type for 32bit machines uint64_tā€¦

0 Likes

Iā€™m going to assume based on your comments that youā€™ve never ported an application from 32 bit to 64 bit, but it is not as easy as just flipping a compile time switch or changing the value of a type. Or if you will, code that compiles and code that runs and does what you expect it to do are not the same thing.

Running 32 bit software on a 64 bit OS requires that all of the libraries that the application requires be installed as 32 bit as well, making getting it working on some operating systems more involved than others. However that would require such a version to exist, which would require SublimeHQ to maintain and support multiple versions.

Being 64 bit allows, amongst other things, access to a larger memory space which is for example required for the git support in ST to work. This is why even when there was a 32 bit version available, the git integration was still not available.

If you require a 32 bit version, they exist, you just canā€™t use the latest versions (though in fact I believe there are unofficial 32 bit versions of ST4 if you know where to look, which are entirely unsupported so if you have issues thatā€™s unfortunate).

At the end of the day, using recent things requires recent things, and sometimes thatā€™s just not possible. I would love for example to use a fast charger to charge my car to save on gas costs, but since my car isnā€™t electric thatā€™s not in the cards.

3 Likes

Nothing is stopping you to give a second life to old 32-bit hardware, not even the unavailability of a 32-bit version of ST. If you really need to edit code on older hardware just use one of the many available editors for 32-bit Windows or Linux.
Or, as professional software developers do, write code for 32-bit hardware (to continue their useful life) using a modern and comfortable 64-bit machine.

Watch out the power consumption of old PCs, if you care about CO2. Thereā€™s a chance a more powerful Raspberry Pi may be better for the environment, even if you count its manufacture.

0 Likes

I am confused: how would one use ST without Package Control? No offense meant, but I donā€™t think ST by itself would be worth the trouble and expense. It is the packages that make the whole thing functional, IMHO. So how do I install the packages w/o Package Control?

0 Likes

Package Control makes it easier to install packages, remove them, update them automatically as maintainers push out new releases and help in managing dependencies for said packages. You can use ST with packages without PC as well. Itā€™s just that all of the functionality of PC has to now be manually done by you.

0 Likes

Well, precisely. So I have to know a lot about packages to use ST. That doesnā€™t make sense for new users. So my point, to rephrase: there should be a built-in (shipped) way of managing packages.

0 Likes

There is. Itā€™s called Package Control.

0 Likes

This answer is fundamentally wrong!

Package Control is not owned nor developed by sublimehq. Itā€™s a community package as any other one. Itā€™s only ST which provides a menu item to automatically install it, because as @PetrKrysl pointed out correctly, extending ST or installing packages is literly impossible for ordinary users, without it.

Thereā€™s no concept or infrastructure built into ST to manage packages. Thatā€™s what we see with Sublime Merge these days. Some users created some themes, but only some experts are able to find and install them. Thus they are useless for the majority of users.

0 Likes

This is all very odd. Long before packagecontrol, there were packages. It wasnā€™t literally impossible to install them then, and it isnā€™t now. And what is an ā€œordinary userā€ of ST anyway?

0 Likes

You could say that users today are spoiled for choice. VS Code is a very strong entry in the general market segment. And it makes it super easy (or at least it attempts to make it easy) for newcomers.

1 Like

Yes there is. Its called Package control. Doesnā€™t have to be officially made by SublimeHQ. It works and everyone on Sublime Text uses it. Literally the first thing, that an user can active on Sublime Text to get, remove and manage packages or repos.

0 Likes

Its also easy on Sublime Text.

0 Likes