Sublime Forum

Nothing stops tab from auto-suggestion and auto-complete

Hey there

Whenever I am typing, and my cursor is at the end of a word, and I hit the Tab key… a drop down auto-suggest menu drops down…

1. Expected behaviour is that tab will “tab” (ie add spaces in the text I’m typing)… I don’t want to see any dropdown or suggestions
  2. If I hit tab twice, expected behaviour is that it will add two tabs worth of spaces… I don’t want the first tab to generate suggestions and the second tab to select and paste the first suggestion

Maybe allow a complete override in settings, or un-hijack the tab key and allocate autocomplete to another key or keys… or a setting that lets me choose the hotkeys for autocomplete?

It become really frustrating because i have tap spacebar after a word before using tab in the normal way, and I suppose you could argue sublime is not a word processor and tabs aren’t a thing, but I use tabs all the time to improve readability.

I’m using the latest sublime 3 free version (build 4152), and I’ve added the following to to the preference settings to no avail

{
“detect_indentation”: true,
“translate_tabs_to_spaces”: true,
“copy_with_empty_selection”: false,
“auto_match_enabled”: false,
“tab_completion”: false,
“auto_complete”: false,
“auto_complete_size_limit”: 0,
“auto_complete_delay”: 5000000,
“auto_complete_selector”: “”,
“auto_complete_triggers”:[],
“auto_complete_use_index”: false,
“auto_complete_commit_on_tab”: false,
“auto_complete_include_snippets”: false,
“auto_complete_include_snippets_when_typing”: false,
“index_files”: false,
“disable_completions”: true,
“auto_close_tags”:false,
“includeCompletionsForModuleExports”: false,
}

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes

If you want tab to never do anything other than add a tab you can use a keybinding:

{ "keys": ["tab"], "command": "insert", "args": {"characters": "\t"} },
0 Likes

Thanks bschaaf, but unfortunately that didn’t work. It turns the tab into a delete when trying to tab multiple lines. (ie. it only solves for tabbing on a single line), because it’s simply inserting a \t over whatever is highlighted.

However, you pointed me in the right direction… :+1::call_me_hand:

I’ve just updated all the default key-bindings for auto-suggestions, and this has resolved the issue

{ “keys”: [“ctrl+shift+tab”], “command”: “auto_complete”, “args”: {“mini”: true, “default”: “\t”, “commit_single”: true},
“context”:
[
/… etc…/
]
},

{ “keys”: [“ctrl+shift+tab”], “command”: “auto_complete”, “args”: {“snippets_only”: true, “default”: “\t”},
“context”:
[
/… etc…/
]
},

{ “keys”: [“ctrl+shift+tab”], “command”: “expand_snippet”, “context”:
[
/… etc…/
]
},

0 Likes

Hacking key bindings shouldn’t be the only option to disable auto completions. Especially tab key is used in various contexts, so blumb customizations are likely to break other functions.

The OP’s settings should be enought to prevent completions. ST however triggers word completoins while typing in various circumstances, despite auto_complete: false being set.