Sublime Forum

New "References" mouse hover is nice. Make a bindable command to browse them?

Build 3146 introduced:

Added Goto References when hovering over a symbol

Making it so that when you mouse-hover over an identifier/symbol, not only are you shown the location of its definition, but now also the locations where it has been referenced/used.

That’s cool, but only being able to get at this new information using a mouse-hover limits its usefulness. The long-standing “Definition” feature has a keybinding (F12) in addition to its presence in the mouse-hover, so how about a matching keybinding (Shift+F12?) for the new References feature?

i.e. when the keyboard cursor is on an identifier/symbol, pressing Shift-F12 shows a Find Results panel populated with the same Reference locations as would be shown in the mouse-hover.

0 Likes

Did I explain this well? Do you reading get what I mean?

0 Likes

I understand what you are asking for :slight_smile:
currently the implementation in Packages/Default/symbol.py doesn’t have a command associated with it (which would enable one to create a keybinding themselves), but one could build a plugin for this if desired

1 Like

Imo it should open a quick panel with the references because that supports keyboard navigation, much like what happens when you invoke “go to symbol” via F12.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, when a symbol’s Definition site is ambiguous, goto_definition shows that panel.

I agree - that same type of panel would be great for a keyboard driven way to browse the References.

0 Likes

Sublime HQ have implemented “Goto Reference…” and “goto_reference” in build 3152.

They are beautiful people! :sun_with_face:

0 Likes

I agree they are beautiful.

Sadly for me, I cannot for the life of me get anything to happen when I select Goto Reference… from the menu.

If I am on the definition of a function, should calling Goto Reference… allow me to see the places that are calling that function? Right now nothing happens.

0 Likes

what languages/syntaxes have you tried this in? it works fine for me in C# and Python, for example. Perhaps you have overridden Packages/Default/symbol.py where this functionality is implemented?

0 Likes

Only tokens that are classified as certain scopes are considered References. It’s not enough for the token to simply be present. I don’t think the rules are documented yet.

0 Likes

Um - I am using ruby. I would think that would work as the definitions and references are both pretty clear.

0 Likes

Put the text cursor on a reference to a function, then select Tools > Developer > Show-Scope-Name from Sublime’s menu bar. As I understand it, it’s about these scope(s) not meeting Sublime’s internal rules for what’s considered a Reference.

0 Likes

17 bytes: source.ruby.rails meta.controller.rails meta.function.ruby entity.name.function.ruby

So that is the function definition.

And here’s the reference

3280 bytes: source.ruby.rails meta.controller.rails

LOL - is that it right there?

0 Likes

No, it looks like ruby needs an update to properly scope references.

0 Likes

So you’re agreeing with me that that is the problem? I realize it was sort of ambiguous the way I said it.

0 Likes

The issue is that the current version of the Ruby syntax doesn’t follow the scope naming guidelines, so the way that Show References is implemented doesn’t know that it is a reference.

Part of the issue, I am almost certain, is that Ruby is so flexible that lots of syntax ambiguous. If you see a single identifier it could be returning a variable, or returning an attr, or calling a function and returning the return value from that. Or just calling a function.

For References to work in Ruby, we’d have to be over-zealous and produce a lot of false positives to catch the real references also.

1 Like