Sublime Forum

Multiple Windows Questions

So I like running multiple windows because I’m using two monitors… But when I open a new window (either by using ctrl+shift+n or by dragging off a tab into a new window) it doesn’t consider the other files in the project as “open.” For example, I can’t use Goto Anything (ctrl+p) in order to jump to other files in the project, and the sidebar in this new window is totally empty. Reopening the same project in the new window doesn’t seem to do anything.

Ideally, I’d like the new window to behave just like a new tab, only it’s a new window :confused: It’d be especially great if it was saved as part of the project workspace, so it always opened up and went to the correct file if I opened that project. Is this possible?

0 Likes

I have no idea. May be you can avoid opening new windows

0 Likes

Sounds like you need to create a new workspace for the project. You can have more than one window/workspace associated to a single project.

An old post that touches on this Projects and Workspaces

0 Likes

A post on StackOverflow can get you halfway there with this command from the CLI:

subl --project /path/to/[name].sublime-project -n 

This will open another window into the project. Unfortunately, I don’t think you will be able to share the workspace between separate windows.

0 Likes

I know this is an ancient thread but this fixed something that I was “putting up with” for a while.

Namely, external windows not having access to LSP or the project.

Now, if you drag a window out to another monitor or choose “File | New Window…” then you will get a window full of red squigglies and the goto will not work.

If you, instead, choose “Project | New workspace for Project” then everything works really well.

Just thought I share the joy ))

Marcus.

0 Likes