Sublime Forum

Mojave/ST3: Sudden Consumption of CPU

Yesterday morning, I was using ST3 without a problem to work on a TypeScript project with a lot of files. During this time, I did not download any new packages nor did I do any software updates on my computer. (Automatic updates are turned off as well.) I quit out of ST3 and put my computer to sleep, then came back about 6 hours later to continue the project.

When I came back, and reopened ST3, my CPU usage skyrocketed and my 2015 MBP sounded like it was about to take off. Everything in ST3 lagged including the folder icons on the side, which were starting to show “loading ellipses” and none of their subfolders beneath. The best part of this was that all I had to do was open the project, I didn’t even type anything.

The research I did pointed to the indexing, but when I opened the pane showing that information (under the Help tab), nothing seemed to be indexing. Research also pointed to certain packages causing issues, so I systematically removed packages, and closed/reopened ST3 to see if that had any effect. It did not.

For thoroughness, I closed ST3 and tested other, similar programs to see if it was maybe something wrong with how my computer was handling large tasks, but it was just ST3.

By this point I was just going to do a reinstall to see if that helps, but I post this here in case others have run into this issue and found an alternate solution. Thanks!

0 Likes

You should probably exclude the node_modules from being indexed:

"binary_file_patterns": [
  "node_modules/**"
]
0 Likes

Ah, yeah, sorry I should have mentioned that I did that this morning before writing this post. Pre-coffee post writing should probably be outlawed. :stuck_out_tongue: I might not have used binary_file_patterns to do that, though. Will have to check after work. Oddly enough, I run the same development environment on my work laptop (2018 MBP) without an issue–no need to set the index to ignore certain files/directories. I am running High Sierra at work, though, since we have some dependent software.

0 Likes

Please read Sublime consumes cpu on Mac after update.

If possible, update to build 3205, as we have mitigations in place for a number of situations where there can be high CPU usage.

0 Likes