Sublime Forum

Making ST3 useful as external editor for mailer programs

Hello,

recently I migrated several of my daily-used apps from Emacs to Vim and, again, I’m considering whether to switch to ST - the other free editor built on Electron is not compelling option for me. :wink:

ST certainly provides nice user-experiences, does not require so much tweaking as Vim and it has decent support for all my (current needs) - rst, markdown, python, php, twig…However there is single option which I asked for longago and even submitted feature request, but, unfortunately not much has happened. :frowning:

ST can properly handle reformatting of e.g. quoted-paragraphs although not having dedicated mail-mode ala Vim, but inability to have setting allowing starting of fresh ‘single’ instance is kind of annoying, so just wonder if something has changed in between and/or if the API has advanced to allow something like that via plugin?

0 Likes

For the moment, I suggest always keeping a running instance of ST around until a command line option (or a setting) like that will be implemented.

0 Likes

Problem is that after finishing writing mail message I have to do Close Window in order to return control to Claws-mail’s Compose window and eventually send the message…and then re-launch ST.

0 Likes

1. Launch ST (either with the last project open or nothing).
  2. Configure Claws to open subl -wn $file.
  3. Work in Claws.
  4. Claws open a new ST window where you can edit stuff.
  5. You are finished with the file and close the window.
  6. The process terminates (because of the -w flag) and Claws regains control.

That is normal external editor behavior, except that ST doesn’t feature the “use this app for just a bit” workflow without it being running already.

2 Likes

It didn’t work at first attempt, but now it does and it seems almost good-enough. :wink:

0 Likes