Sublime Forum

Mac: Restore minimized window on opening a file

I minimize ST3 to see my folders and files on the Desktop. Then I open a file to edit it but ST3 does not restore. It stays minimized. I have to click to do so.

Is there an option so ST3 does?

0 Likes

There’s no setting to do that as far as I can see.

Note however that there is this setting:

// OS X only: When files are opened from finder, or by dragging onto the
    // dock icon, this controls if a new window is created or not.
    "open_files_in_new_window": true,

On my Mac with this option turned on (it’s turned on by default), opening a file in Sublime opens it in a new window, which shows the new window even if the existing windows are all minimized.

That might be a workaround for you, although since the option is turned on by default you’ve probably turned it off because you don’t want it to do that.

1 Like

Yes. That works.

But, I don’t want a new window. I want it in the same window.

0 Likes

So, this is still a thing in the current version of Sublime. Can we please fix this? When opening files it should open these in an already existing window that is not minimized by default. The setting: “open_files_in_new_window” should:

• Open a new window if no window is existing (in the current desktop) and ignore minimized windows, or windows in other desktops, when set to true. It should still open files in existing and unminimized windows.
  • Activate minimized windows (if existing) and open files in that when set to false. If no minimized window exists it should create a new window.

I wouldn’t necessarily say this is a bug but this is definitely a usability issue. It’s impractical and could be overcome easily!

0 Likes