Sublime Forum

Limit to Three Modifier Keys in Keybindings?

Apologies in advance if this is a dupe — I searched and couldn’t find anything.

It appears Sublime Text only allows you to map key commands with a maximum of three modifiers keys (e.g. ctrl+alt+shift+x, with ctrl+alt+shift the modifiers). The problem is, I have my caps lock key bound to the ctrl+alt+super+shift modifier on OS X. I’d like to use a key command like ctrl+alt+super+shift+x.

None of the key commands I enter using this modifier register with ST, whether I use the caps lock key or actually press all the modifier keys. I’ve tried every combination of three modifiers, and all of those work.

Is there a limit to the number of modifier keys that can be used in a key command? If so, can that limit me removed/raised? Or am I missing something?

0 Likes

As near as I can see there is no limit, so this might be related directly to the mapping of capslock to the super key? Here’s a shot of me testing this on Linux, but it works similarly under MacOS X where the command key is mapped to super (as per default, I would guess).

Perhaps you can turn on input logging and see what (if anything) the key sequence is interpreted as? My first guess would be that whatever input method that Sublime is using to collect scancodes isn’t seeing capslock as super, but that’s totally a guess.

[edit] On the other hand, I just went into System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and set Caps Lock to be Command and it still works. I’m running 10.10.5 here.

0 Likes

Well it appears to only be an issue with a very particular key command. That combination of modifiers with any other letter works fine. That means the issue isn’t with ST, but somewhere else. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Yes, I was being an idiot. I just had those keybindings bound elsewhere at the system level. This issue can be closed/removed.

0 Likes