Sublime Forum

Large Selection/Highlight or Select Range by Line Number

Hi Everyone!

I have possibly a unique problem for you, I am using Sublime Text 3 to read in my data from an experiment. My experiment yields in excess of 5 million data points giving each one on a separate line, I do my data analysis in a program called OriginLab which is plotting software with integrated spreadsheet software, because my data set is so large I max out the number of rows in the spreadsheet software so need to do this in chunks - I tend to split the data in half and this usually does the trick.

The problem is presently I highlight and shift + page down to select the chunk of data I wish to split; this still takes a very long time and there must be a better way to do this. Is there a way; either natively or with a package, to highlight/select and range based on line. E.g highlight/select lines 1 to 2,500,000 without manually doing this

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated and this would save me so much time!

Thank you very much,

QP

0 Likes

How to selected line automatic

You might be looking for the “Mark” feature.

Ctrl-G to go to the last line you want to select, by number.
Edit > Mark > Set Mark to set your selection-end marker.
Ctrl-G (or Ctrl-Home) to go to the first line you want to select.
Edit > Mark > Select to Mark

4 Likes

I shall try this and report back, thanks for the reply!

0 Likes

Perfect. Thank you very much!

You have saved me so much time I cannot express my gratitude enough!

0 Likes

This worked really very well. I was having to delete almost a million lines from sql file. And I could not think of any other way. Thanks a zillion.

0 Likes

I have been sucribed just to give you like to your very nice comment, cheers!!

1 Like