Sublime Forum

Issues with FS changes in sidebar

Hello All! This problem is becoming a show stopper for me and I know I’m not doing things the “normal” way but there is no reason for this so I thought I would ask about it.

First the setup. I do all my dev work remotely on a dev server. I use SSHFS to mount the remote FS to my local OSX install. Everything can be found in something like /mount/remote/devfolder for example. At no time does the Apple Finder have any issues seeing and reporting remote changes. However every version of Sublime I’ve used (from 2 to 3 stable and even 3 dev) all seem to take a LONG time to update the sidebar.

Yes I have a lot of files in the tree. But other editors don’t have this issue. If I close sublime and reopen it it takes seconds for it to see the changes and reflect them in the sidebar. However if I leave Sublime open and hit the “refresh” item in the context menu it can take up to 5 minutes for it to see the changes. There seems to be a cache of some sort that has problems updating.

Can anyone provide any hints on how to speed this up? I’m not really in the market to learn the quirks of a new editor but these delays are killing me.

0 Likes

I think this is just a OS / file system issue. It’s really slow to watch for file changes on a remote drive - I see it with every file watcher I’ve used.

So - I don’t really have an answer other than I’m not surprised and I’ve heard of others having this issue as well. Is it possible to change your workflow so you edit local files?

0 Likes

I would accept that except other editors (will remain nameless for now) have no problems and likewise the Apple Finder never seems to delay in recognizing the remote change. Only sublime seems to choke on it.

In addition to that I’ve been using this technique for years (previously on Linux) and never had any issues. I did have issues when I first switched to OSX but that was resolved by a few SSHFS tweaks.

0 Likes

Oh thats good to know then. I wish I knew more but I don’t work like this. Maybe @jps knows?

0 Likes

Interestingly I added Git and Git Gutter and Sublime really slowed down. Super laggy on everything. Again another certain editor does not have that issue at all, nor the issue with FS changes on the server being reflected quickly.

0 Likes

You can say “Atom”, it’s not a dirty word :slightly_smiling: Yes, there are some things that some people like better about Atom than Sublime (for instance, having Webkit built-in is great for web developers, some prefer the DOM-based API, etc.), and That’s OK™.

0 Likes

Based on the fact that you are working on a remote filesystem, my hunch would be that those two packages are performing file operations, or launching a subprocess to interact with files, and blocking the UI.

0 Likes