Sublime Forum

Is sublime no longer updated?

Each of such threads cause further delays in release!

@wbond mentioned a few things the two guys have to struggle with every day - and writing comprehensive justifications doesn’t help to get the job done.

I would like to see the one or the other feature being added, too, that’s sure. But as a developer I can imagine the amount of work and complexity the both have to deal with. Thy go the hard way to create a fast and customize-able editor instead of a better web browser for simple text.

I honestly hate the every day updates of apps on my phone which bring absolutely no value. Same with other programs. Some of the less used stuff requires update every time I need it. Or consider modern games and gaming consoles. Everytime you have some minutes to play you waste your time waiting for another 30GB update. I don’t know what people like with every day updated programs.

I want to get my job done but not struggle with updates everyday

3 Likes

Is there something you’d expect ST to accomplish and doesn’t, any annoying bugs that you’re waiting to be fixed, or just want to have it updated for the excitement of novelty? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are other reasons why someone needs a stable release. One reason and one which is relevant to me is that my organization does not allow me to use a software which is in BETA state.

Although @wbond answer does not make a lot of sense to me, especially from a product company which charges for its DEV/BETA releases and yet makes no guarantees about when people can expect a stable release, here’s the way I see it. And this is based on my past experience.

1. There have been numerous posts about when will Sublime be ready and the answer each time is “It will be ready when it is ready”. From the posts above I can see its not going to change.
  2. So if you are wondering if you should buy a license, sure if you have 70 quid to throw away. IMHO, though, if you have 70 quid to throw away, give it to charity, it will be worth it.
  3. If you have already bought a license, then if the software’s working as per your expectations, congratulations, you got your money’s worth. If not I got one word for you… SUCKER!
0 Likes

Jeez dude, chill.

There have been numerous posts about when will Sublime be ready and the answer each time is “It will be ready when it is ready”. From the posts above I can see its not going to change.

Of course not. How is it going to be ready before it’s ready? If you’re angry about software development being hard to predict and plan, that’s understandable but at this point it’s about as useful as getting angry about getting wet in the rain.

You’re being unreasonable and perhaps should consider getting some time away from the keyboard rather than venting on this forum. It’s not productive.

4 Likes

Thank you “O Wise Zen”. There are few people whom I listen to, and you don’t make the cut.

The point I was trying to make is not knowing whats the definition of ready is frustrating, not that it will be ready before its ready. And I only put very bluntly what the folks at Sublime HQ have been trying to tell everyone in a very roundabout way.

0 Likes

Again, tone it down a bit man. Your frustration came across clearly the first time.

1 Like

Again, you don’t tell me what to do and what not to do. I read your earlier post and chose to disregard it.

0 Likes

You’ll just have to accept that SublimeHQ works on Valve time.

3 Likes

LOL That nailed it. :joy:

0 Likes

You’re being extremely rude.

3 Likes

Just wanted to give the devs some love and let them know that most sublime users aren’t so arrogant as to think we’re owed anything other than a copy of your fantastically stable product.

Keep up the fantastic work fellas.

7 Likes

That is great to hear :slight_smile:

One question - How you established how much an upgrade license will cost from ST2? For some unsolicited feedback it would be an instant buy for me at around $15.

0 Likes

This is a good reason for a release and I also don’t think the 4+ years beta state is useful.
However if someone does not depend on such a policy he can just use it as if it was out of the beta, because it is more stable than other “stable” releases and I think even more stable than ST2.

You have an unlimited trial to try out the software and if it does not work as expected you can just switch to an other editor. Hence nobody will be disappointed if he gets the software he has already extensivly tried out. The dev builds won’t change so much you just get some features earlier. Sublime Text does not charge for having access to the dev builds or for not having a popup, but for a license for continued use and you will have access to the dev builds and the popup will disappear if you buy it.

0 Likes

There is this blog post:

http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/2013/01

Pricing. The price for a Sublime Text license key has increased by $11, from $59 to $70, the first price rise in Sublime Text’s five year history. All licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3. Users with a Sublime Text 2 license key can continue using the key with Sublime Text 3 while it’s in beta. When 3.0 is released, upgrades will be available for $30, or $15 for users who have purchased recently. The cut off date for the reduced upgrade price will be based on the actual date of the 3.0 release.

0 Likes

Yes, we do agree that the beta went on too long, and don’t plan on repeating such a long release cycle in the future.

13 Likes

Yes I have seen that. I have asked in the past if that was still correct as it is more than 4 years old now. Last time they had not decided.

1 Like

Just thought I’d throw in my 2c. I’ve been using ST3 (notepad++, vim before that) for a while (I paid for a license) and it is still my go to editor. I try out the competition every couple of months and while they are closing the gap - notably VSCode, ST3 still has the lead for performance, functionality and feel for me. I just hope that sublime text doesn’t lose critical mass because the development is slower than all the others. Sublime is useful by itself but more so because of the plugin community. Keep up the good work, many thanks.

4 Likes

May I suggest you try VSCode? It is very actively developed, has a huge plugin community, and recently became good enough for me to switch from sublime to vscode. It lacks in one major department, the speed of searching for files, but that’s on the roadmap.

1 Like

My own personal rule of thumb is: don’t pay for software based on future promises. Pay if it does what you want today. This applies to any software (actually most anything), not just Sublime Text. While everyone likes useful updates and you might be disappointed when updates don’t occur as frequently as you’d like, if you follow this simple guideline you should rarely feel like a “sucker”.

This seems like a problem you should be addressing to your organization.

8 Likes

Well I’ve been using Atom “stable” releases for a year or so now and found them not particularly stable (i.e. hang/crash, also font size on startup being quite “random”).

I did have the Sublime Text 3 stable build crashing occasionally on Windows 10 but the latest dev build seems to have sorted it out.

2 Likes

Sublime Text versus Visual Studio Code in 2019