Sublime Forum

Is it possible to disable tabs and/or enforce a maximum of one file per window?

Hello!

I am using Sublime Text 3 on linux, and I’d like to simply run multiple instances/windows of sublime text whenever I am opening multiple files, one instance/window per file. It seems all the related settings are OS X only. I know it is possible to change the launch shortcut in order to cause a new window to be opened, but I’d like to also have it open new windows when I open files from within sublime itself. Is this possible?

Thanks for your time,

Arjen

0 Likes

hmm, it is interesting that the open_files_in_new_window setting is Mac only, you’d think it could easily be applicable to other OSes too…

Are you referring to the File -> Open File... menu functionality?

you could override the menu item (and keybinding) with a custom plugin that will open a new window before showing the open dialog. But, if you cancelled, I guess it would keep the blank window open, so maybe not ideal.

Unfortunately, there is no API to move a view between windows that I know of, otherwise you could write a plugin that will automatically check for multiple tabs and move everything other than the first one into new windows.

0 Likes

My understanding of the open_files_in_new_window option is that it basically breaks/overrides existing Mac OS functionality (which tends to open files in new windows (apparently, I am not a Mac user)), essentially doing the reverse of what I want when it is set to false and doing nothing when it is set to true.

By ‘opening files in sublime itself’ I mean exactly what I said, not just File -> Open File, but also any other way (e.g. opening the settings for a specific package). Basically though what I really meant is that I don’t want some custom launch script or command argument which causes a new window to be opened whenever I open a sublime-associated file through some file manager.

All of this said, if it isn’t possible in a way that is somewhat elegant, then I think I’ll just have another look at how to make sublime’s tabs fit in my workflow.

Thanks for the answer!

0 Likes