Sublime Forum

INotify Count Crashing System

I’m referencing the original data issue - I removed what was some AWS junk from the smaller project that was giving the 1.4m and it went down, but that still doesn’t fix my original ticket problem. Because even 20k (in safe mode, and replicated at least two extra times???) is way too much, and if that’s considered acceptable, then I need to demand a license refund. Plain period and simple.

It’s not symlinks, at this point it’s a large project that I need to be able to have a full-scope view on. Something I was able to use Sublime text for without it hitting these crazy inotify amounts until I upgraded to the most recent version. The codebase for the 20k example has not changed in structure in the last two weeks.

So, no, if that can’t be disabled because of the way ST now works, then again, I need to be contacted with some representative or such that can help me process a refund.

(Edit: I apologize for the lack of clarity at points, this is massively frustrating, partially because I’ve enjoyed ST for a long time, and wanted to support. But if it’s to the point where development has taken it past a place where I can continue to use it, well, that’s definitely where some of this comes from.)

(Edit 2: I’ve been limited to replies, which is just another stick in my boot with you guys around all this. At this point, I’d rather just get a refund, thank you.)

0 Likes

I’m referencing the original data issue - I removed what was some AWS junk from the smaller project that was giving the 1.4m and it went down, but that still doesn’t fix my original ticket problem. Because even 20k (in safe mode, and replicated at least two extra times???) is way too much, and if that’s considered acceptable, then I need to demand a license refund.

Tracking changes to 20k folders requires 20k inotify watches. This is how Linux works and every application that tracks changes to the filesystem recursively is required to do the same. This however shouldn’t lead to any freezes in the application, which is what I’m trying to solve here. On my end ST handles projects with 20k folders or more without any slowdown (no symlinks, real folders).

0 Likes

An easy way to check if the recent symlink change is causing problems would be to downgrade to 4121, if you’re using apt you can do apt install sublime-text=4121.

0 Likes

Hopefully I’m not rate-limited anymore - I’ve gotten a license refund and won’t be using Sublime text any further. Thank you.

As a note - I’ve already installed two different editors that have cascading directory views akin to ST, and neither has given me any sort of inotify issues or even created enough to show a blip on my scripts or system. Even when testing against the AWS junk folders created that gave me the 1.6M inotify counts across multiple ST instances - and they’re both smaller projects than even ST. Like any system, trying to expand those massive folders lags for a bit as it tries to render a view, but loading the parent directories isn’t an issue - as to be expected. There might be a benefit looking towards an expected user experience rather than something as asinine as telling a user “don’t load the big folders on linux.”

0 Likes

Like any system, trying to expand those massive folders lags for a bit as it tries to render a view, but loading the parent directories isn’t an issue - as to be expected.

Sounds more like they aren’t watching recursively, which you don’t need to do if you only care about the folders the user is viewing. ST has goto-anything and file indexing requiring it to know the whole directory tree, also allowing arbitrarily large directory structures to be explored without any lag.

There might be a benefit looking towards an expected user experience rather than something as asinine as telling a user “don’t load the big folders on linux.”

That’s what I’m trying to do, but you keep insisting that watching every directory is the problem when by all likelihood it isn’t, especially considering that directory trees of the same size don’t pose a problem on my end. Hence why I’m asking for how the symlinks are laid out so I can try reproducing on my end and fix the problem.

1 Like

Congratulations on being rock-headed, just right impressive. I’d love to deactivate my account here, or somehow remove my email, since ST is a product I no longer use or support as I clearly stated at the start of that post you quoted, but you guys don’t even have that functionality.

0 Likes