Sublime Forum

How to update Sublime Text-3 in Ubuntu?

I had installed Sublime Text-3,build- 3114 using the .deb package from the link present in official site i.e. http://www.sublimetext.com/3 . I used Sublime Text-3 earlier in windows. In windows there was functionality of update, within Sublime Text-3 only.

But in Ubuntu there is no such functionality.I have already installed multiple packages and have also customized it, so I don’t want to repeat the whole process again.

Is there any way to update Sublime Text-3, in current scenario ? And if not, what is the alternate ?

0 Likes

You can save the file and then right click on it to choose the software centre for install.

0 Likes

Reinstalling should not change the customizations you made, so I think this would be the best way to update.
If you are really worried you can backup the folder ~/.config/sublime-text-3, which should contain all installed packages and changes you did.

1 Like

So should I uninstall/remove it and then install the latest version ?

0 Likes

But Sublime Text-3 is already installed(old version) and I want to update it to new version.

0 Likes

I don’t think you need to uninstall it to install the new version. Just install it should be fine and overwrite the old one.

1 Like

Well then I should give it a try. Thank you for info.

0 Likes

yes this is what I did, just install it over the top

0 Likes

If you want to upgrade from the command line, just change to your Downloads folder, then run

sudo dpkg -i sublime-text_build-XXXX_amd64.deb

where XXXX is the build number.

2 Likes

In the event that doesn’t work, install ‘gdebi’ from the regular apt system and type:
sudo gdebi sublime-text-build-XXXX-amd64.deb

Gdebi will, if needed bring in dependent packages. And your configuration will be preserved.

0 Likes