Sublime Forum

How to turn off the red error boxes shown inline in code when building

Recently, there have been introduced in Sublime 3 this new feature showing on build the errors inline in the code. It may be useful for some folks, but for me it’s actually disturbing, because I’m already using a different way of localizing the lines where errors happen.

Is there a way to turn off this new feature and not show these inline error boxes?

0 Likes

Build errors are now shown inline at the location where they occurred. This is controlled with the show_errors_inline setting.

set show_errors_inline to false in your user preferences

3 Likes

Thanks! I think showing inline errors is a good idea, but I’d like to have them shown somewhere on the side or just as some kind of thick red line/underscore, instead of a big textbox between lines of code (it’s confusing).

0 Likes

I’ve put this line in my user preferences, but am still seeing the error boxes - which are really annoying as they are smack in the middle of the line of code I am trying to work on:

“show_errors_inline”: false

The other settings (eg., “draw_white_space”) are being picked-up ok.

Is there anything else I need to do ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes

hmm, my understanding is that the built in inline errors should appear under the relevant line of code, not in the middle, so maybe you are experiencing something from a third party package or something? can you share a screenshot please to help with identification?

0 Likes

“Smack in the middle” may have been slightly misleading. Regardless, the error box is distracting and unwanted, and I’m quite keen to turn it off. Something a little more subtle at the bottom of the screen would be magnitudes more preferable - especially when said box appears whilst I am still typing the line in question. BTW - I’m developing in TypeScript, so the ‘eagerness’ would be down to the TS package rather than ST. But still…

0 Likes

could it be related to this?

the comment on that PR shows it deliberately ignores the show_errors_inline preference… I guess, add your vote to this issue:

0 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up about the open TypeScript issue. The above link shows you a hack you can make to the TypeScript plugin to disable these inline error boxes.

0 Likes