Sublime Forum

How to debug ST3 crash?

I am using a plugin (TODO Review) that I can consistently get to crash Sublime Text 3 (Build 3114). How can I determine what is causing the crash? I’ve looked around for log files, but I don’t see anything. The entire application gets brought down when I trigger the issue, so I’m unable to see any output in the application console. Are there ways I can get to root cause?

I’m specifically interested in any application-level logs that might include any tracebacks for why Sublime Text crashed. Do such things exist?

0 Likes

add some logging in the Python code for the plugin?

0 Likes

I’m hoping that there are some application-level logs somewhere. Since the entire application is terminating, it’s unlikely that any logging added to the plugin would catch the error in time.

0 Likes

the OS might generate a crash dump… which OS are you using?

0 Likes

I’m on Windows 7 x64. I saw some crash dump files down in the Sublime Text folder (.DMP files), but they appeared to be binary. Is there a tool used to read them?

0 Likes

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263 might be of use :slightly_smiling:

but I still think that, depending on why it crashes, adding logging to a file at various lines in the Python code could be easier to pinpoint what line of code causes it to crash, even if it won’t necessarily explain why it causes the crash :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes