Sublime Forum

(Hopefully not) Just another Icon

Hey folks, I’ve used Sublime Text now for a little over a year, and I’ve always felt that the icon didn’t really say a whole lot about what Sublime Text actually does. I’ve seen a lot of basic icons that show the letter, and a lot of copies of the button theme, and even a few that show markup.

For me I wanted to start with what Sublime Text means to me.

It’s a building tool. It creates the foundation, and so I liked the idea of blocks, and I liked the idea of abstracting the “S” a little bit. So after a few months of dwelling on it, I felt inspired to take a crack at it and I’d like to submit it to everyone if you’re interested.

I started with basic blocks, and refined through a number of steps.

and finally landed on something like this.

This icon has been saved out at HiDPI resolution as well. Mac only for now.

cl.ly/3P1K2X3c0e3u2d3f2T1g

Enjoy, and feedback welcome of course. I’d love to take some ideas and run with them.

0 Likes

New Icon (suggestion)

Wow this is fantastic. Probably the best user-submitted icon yet. Nice work!!

Makes me wish the app had an icon preference, because each release will keep clobbering stuff like this. (at least on mac)

0 Likes

Would love to see these in ico. If you have the source I can export to Vista compatible 256x256/48x48/32x32/16x16 icon.

0 Likes

[quote=“danro”]Wow this is fantastic. Probably the best user-submitted icon yet. Nice work!!

Makes me wish the app had an icon preference, because each release will keep clobbering stuff like this. (at least on mac)[/quote]

:smiley: thanks! and agreed. maybe with enough love we can sort something out. gotta love how customizable ST is.

0 Likes

I can definitely get it there, just wanted to float these out today. I have VMs for both windows 7 and xp. so ill whip these up tomorrow.

thanks for the support folks! :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

gorgeous!

Using now!

0 Likes

That’s my most favourite icon EVER.

0 Likes

cl.ly/3x172V2O2V1a0A2B2K0b

I think this will do, but let me know if it doesn’t work.

0 Likes

There’s an Icon.png in my Packages/Default, and I’m assuming that just replacing this will change the application icon?

Otherwise, how would I inject the .ico file into the ST.exe? I’m on Windows 7 64bit, Home Premium.

0 Likes

@drewcovi nice icon man. Thanks!

@agibsonsw use resedit to replace the icon in sublime_text.exe

Edit: You can follow the instructions here for windows: github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

0 Likes

I’ve followed the instructions at dmatarozzo’s site, and tried some variations, but I always end up with “D:\SublimeText2\sublime_text.exe is not a valid Win32 application.” Have people successfully replaced their icon on Windows? Are any other steps necessary? I’m using the portable install method on Vista 32-bit in case it matters.

Thanks, Todd

0 Likes

pleasures all mine :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“ToddFiske”]I’ve followed the instructions at dmatarozzo’s site, and tried some variations, but I always end up with “D:\SublimeText2\sublime_text.exe is not a valid Win32 application.” Have people successfully replaced their icon on Windows? Are any other steps necessary? I’m using the portable install method on Vista 32-bit in case it matters.

Thanks, Todd[/quote]

Not truly a free solution, however back in my windows days I used microangelo.us/mod.asp a ton. If you can justify 24 bucks to have control over your icons, id say go for it.

0 Likes

[quote=“ToddFiske”]I’ve followed the instructions at dmatarozzo’s site, and tried some variations, but I always end up with “D:\SublimeText2\sublime_text.exe is not a valid Win32 application.” Have people successfully replaced their icon on Windows? Are any other steps necessary? I’m using the portable install method on Vista 32-bit in case it matters.

Thanks, Todd[/quote]

I used reshacker (angusj.com/resourcehacker/), until now 0 problems

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3389104/st2_untitled.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3389104/st2_about.png

Btw, this icon should be its default.

0 Likes

Thanks Jaxedin, that worked for me using Resource Hacker. Don’t know why ResEdit didn’t work for me though.

@drewcovi, turns out I won’t need it, but thanks anyway for the reminder about Microangelo.

0 Likes

If it’s of any use to anyone, I use the following batchfile to update my icon using Resource Hacker

"C:\[path_to]\Resource Hacker\ResHacker.exe" -addoverwrite "C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\sublime_text.exe", "C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\sublime_text.exe", "[path_to]\SublimeText2.ico", Icon, 1,
0 Likes