Sublime Forum

Help with a keymap please

I want to have a keymap that opens a new_file then opens the prompt_save_ as from one key selection.

I know someone is bound to ask “why bother when it only saves one key selection”
The answer is this.

1. it doesn’t just save one key selection, it saves 50% of the work of opening and saving.
  2. my snippets are scoped to specific sources ergo I need to save before using snippets.
  3. It gives me an opportunity to learn a bit more about ST2 and JSON.

This is what I have tried. The JSON validates - it just doesn’t work. Does anyone have an idea what I may be doing wrong?

[   
 {
   "keys": ["ctrl+alt+n"],"command": "insert_snippet", "args":
     [ 
       {"keys": ["ctrl+n"], "command": "new_file"},
       {"keys": ["ctrl+shift+s"],"command": "prompt_save_as" }
     ]
 }
]
0 Likes

I agree this is pretty handy. I do it using the AdvancedNewFile plugin.
Once installed pressing ctrl+alt+n will open a small prompt for you to enter the filename of the new file.

0 Likes

You don’t need to save a file to activate snippets. You can set a syntax of a view manually (by clicking on the right in the status bar, using the View → Syntax menu or searching for “Set Syntax:” in the command palette).

Unfortunately, what you want to do is not possible this way. args must be a mapping (or object, like you say in JavaScript) and the arguments must be accepted by the receiving command.

See also http://docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/reference/key_bindings.html.

Because you are creating a new view and want to run a command on that new view, you need to create a Python plugin for this.

Otherwise, this plugin could have helped you.

0 Likes

thank you both for your replies.

bnorgd: I added this but nothing is happening. perhaps i’m missing something.

FichteFoll: the reason I am using snippets this way (remembering I am fairly new to ST) is this:
I will be saving the file at sometime, so I may as well do it first.
the reason snippets are source specific is because I keep the names very similar ie. navh for html, navc for css etc. this means when I am in css and type na, navc will be the top selection. I don’t need to select from a list. If I was not source specific and typed na I would have a list from which to choose which would mean either going down the list or continue to type. both are extra keystrokes, which is what I am trying reduce. that’s just the way I think, I hope it makes sense.

I looked at the plugin you suggest and will try it later today.

thank you both.

0 Likes

both links were actually to the same plugin and it works perfectly. thank you for that.
I do have one question, my projects all have the same file structure with sub- directories for css, inc, img etc.
as I may be in either root or one of the subs (ie. \inc) and want to save a new file in \css what would be the syntax? as far as I see they all save to the current dir.

thanks

0 Likes

You can provide parameters to the advanced_new_file_new command, or use the advanced_new_file_new_at command. Parameters are explained in its wiki:

0 Likes

got it, thank you, much appreciated.

0 Likes