Sublime Forum

Hats off for this attention to detail

Sublime Text has been my programming editor for over 3 years now, in fact I use it for almost all my text editing, only emails are done elsewhere, even this post is being written in it.

I have only just noticed a very minor feature (more a piece of behaviour than feature actually) and wondered whether or not others have noticed it too. When you double click on a word that word will get selected - we all know that - but if, while performing the double click, you move the mouse fractionally to the left, when the word is selected the selection’s direction will be right-to-left instead of the usual left-to-right.

Have I been a little slow on the uptake or have others failed to notice this for ages as well?

As an aside; it’s this kind of immense attention to detail that makes ST stand head and shoulders above its rivals.

1 Like

To describe it slightly differently, in a more reproducible manner:

• double left click on a word and keep the left mouse button pressed on the second click
  • move the mouse left or right to control whether the cursor ends up at the beginning of the word or the end of the word
  • release the left mouse button

I think this feature/behavior has always been there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OMG - that’s so cool, I never realized you could do that. It woks with triple clicking to select the whole line as well (keeping the button pressed after the third click).

1 Like

That is pretty much a standard feature. Try doing the same thing in your web browser - it behaves in the same way.

0 Likes

Oh, works in my browser too. Super ashamed not to know this. You wouldn’t think I’ve a BSc in Computer Science and AI. :blush:

0 Likes

It is not easiest maneuver to pull of consistently. That is probably why not many people know about it.

0 Likes

It’s not so hard to pull off. Just left click on any selected text, drag, drop.

The double click sets a selection to a work. You want a line, triple click.

0 Likes

I made that statement without reading that close. Yes, it is actually easy to pull off; my mistake.

0 Likes