Sublime Forum

Flatpak, Toolbox and Fedora SilverBlue

Curious if there are any plans to put SublimeText 4 into a Flatpak on Flathub?

Currently I am running in toolbox, which is just a mutable container for Fedora SilverBlue (next best option next to flatpak). Problem is I am having some problems getting sublime text 4 to launch inside there through the desktop file. It will launch via subl inside the container but not through the toolbox call. I know this is likely more of a fedora thing but figured I would ask here in case anyone else had battled this.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Sublime Toolbox
GenericName=Text Editor
Comment=Edit source code
Icon=sublime-text.svg
Exec=toolbox run -c fedora-toolbox-35 /opt/sublime_text/sublime_text
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
MimeType=text/plain;
Categories=TextEditor;Development;Utility;
0 Likes

We investigated providing an official flatpak distribution for Sublime Text, unfortunately the way flatpak works is fundamentally incompatible with development tools that are required to run system executables. I suggest using the official packages instead.

0 Likes

Requesting permission to submit Flatpak for Sublime Text 4

Sounds good thanks for the info! I am going to leave what i did here for those that stumble across this thread. It may be greek to those that haven’t played around with OS’s like SilverBlue, if so just ignore below…

It looks like in the case of SilverBlue (container OS) the most effective way to use sublime is to add it to the rpm-ostree repos and install it along side the OS. Not necessarily ideal (given the whole SilverBlue philosophy of preferring Flatpak and/or Toolbox) but in the case of Gnome it works the most seemlessly.

vi /etc/yum.repos.d/sublime-text.repo

[sublime-text]
name=Sublime Text - x86_64 - Stable
baseurl=https://download.sublimetext.com/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-rpm-pub.gpg    

sudo rpm-ostree refresh-md
sudo rpm-ostree install sublime-text
sudo reboot
0 Likes