Sublime Forum

"Find in Files..." doesn't return all results

Quick google search returned few topics about it, but none of them had any answers. If it was answered before, plz kick me toward the answer…

I work with large sets of customer logs (hundreds of files up to several hundreds of MB in size) and “Find in Files…” is great help for me. However I’ve noticed that sometimes it doesn’t return all matches out there.
How it usually looks like is: I search for session ID and I get results from few files, but I know that there must be more files in results. Then I go to the file I expect to have this session ID, open it in a new tab in Sublime, search for the same ID using regular “Find…” and it returns results.

I’ve being seeing this behavior for a while and it looks like Sublime simply skips files during “Find in Files…” search if they are bigger than a certain size. Is it true? Is there a way to disable it? For bulk search I need all results even if it means slower performance.

I am on Sublime 2.0.2 build 2221. If it is fixed/changed in future version, I will upgrade right away…

1 Like

Related:

I don’t know if this changed in ST3, so … give it a shot?

1 Like

I tried to run a search on set of logs I had problem with this week and Sublime3 returned all records. On the other hand on a second attempt Sublime2 returned all records as well (which is even more strange). I’ll test Sublime3 next time I see the problem again and update this topic. Thanks!

0 Likes

All right, so today I got log set just right for the task: a lot of files varying between few MB to almost 2 GB. Ran search using both Sublime 2 and Sublime 3 and both returned same results - all records from small files, but none of the records from large (1GB+) files. Of course when I opened large files manually - lines are there.

Attached thread doesn’t seem to be related, as I am searching pure text files - no binary stuff in them.

It still looks like size of the file is deciding factor here. Is this configurable somewhere?

0 Likes

Find in Files currently skips files over 100MB. You can confirm this by looking in the Console for lines such as {filename} too large ({filesize} bytes), skipping.

0 Likes

Thanks for confirming this!

Now the big question is: is there a way to configure/disable this limitation? If not - is there a way to submit a feature request to developers to make this limit configurable?

1 Like

Still with the latest Sublime Text 4 the issue persist.

On Github there are 23 upvotes, but no impelentation is planned. If I sort on github with 23 upvotes this request is among the top 15, how does it not get noticed?

0 Likes

Seems like an edge case to me. I tend to use other tools when I know large files are involved with. Klogg and dngrep spring to mind.

0 Likes

I like many of the suplime features and plugins. We try to use a limited number of utilities. Sublime is capable in handling huge files, the search also work if all files are opened and searched this way.

The limitation of 100MB is strange. In our usecase we search Log files which exceed the size limit by a small amount. But this is just me, there were others asking on this.

0 Likes

It may just be that among other issues, this issue has just not reached enough to let the developers put efforts (Since it’s a feature request in the end). ST has added various settings in the past for lifting off various file size restrictions on features like AC, syntax detection, Find highlights etc. So this may very well get such a setting in the future.

1 Like