Sublime Forum

Finally, a multi-platform Terminal running in Sublime Text

I’d like to remind you of our naming conventions before: https://packagecontrol.io/docs/submitting_a_package#Step_2

“SubTerminal” would pass, imo, but I couldn’t accept “SublimelyTerminal”. I thought of a few different names, like “Subliminal” or “Subterminal”, but I’m not sure they get the “terminal” aspect across. Will report back once I have an idea, though.

I can think of some plays on terminal itself, like “Terminality”. … actually, I like that.

0 Likes

How About “Terminal Velocity?” No more ST reference but that’s problematic it seems.

0 Likes

Yikes: https://github.com/spywhere/Terminality

0 Likes

Oh, I was so excited about renaming and forgot about this rule. How about Terminus?

0 Likes

Hi guys. First of all, sorry for the confusion.

The package has now been renamed as Terminus

1. to avoid confusion between the internal sublime console vs Console

2. to avoid Sublime prefix

3. to have something related to Terminal

The commands should have prefixes terminus_ now. I will set this name as the final if there is no other major objection.

3 Likes

There isn’t a lot of duplication of Terminus in the wild and within the sublime package world it’s certainly unique and short.

Not objecting, but putting the most interesting search results here for the record:

I think it’s not a question of finding a name that has never been used, just one that has not been used in the same world.
We could call it Popplers :slight_smile: https://popculturecoup.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/ep-28-the-problem-with-popplers-notes/ ("“the only two names which weren’t trademarked were “Popplers” and “Zitsels”.”")

0 Likes

FWIW, I really like Terminus as a name.

0 Likes

It’s a great idea and I would love to see it implemented in Terminus.

0 Likes

A native implementing is easy Just search for file_regex and open the file when a user double-clicked on it. However, the issue is the search itself.

The built-in build system works because it doesn’t (hard) wrap lines so searching file paths is easier. However, it is not the case for the terminal view - lInes are hard wrapped in Terminus. Although we could relax it theoretically, it will be a major refactoring of the Screen object.

Multiple regex is possible, but it would be difficult to debug.

0 Likes

Is it not possible to intercept lines as they are read into the terminal system and regex them as they arrive?

The functionality isn’t about parsing things on the screen but rather matching lines in the output and creating error records and/or phantoms in the files. Double clicking on the error messages to open the file is not required IMHO.

0 Likes

It would be much easier to parse output from the view. Processing the data stream and rendering the screen is actually a hard job and luckily I don’t have to get my hand dirty by using pyte.

Maybe at some point, I need to extend the Screen object to do soft wrap rather than hard wrap.

And displaying phantoms is actually more difficult than click-to-open-file.

0 Likes

Having had a quick look at pyte, it looks like one could just subclass a HistoryScreen to match file regexes and add it to the stream.

Creating the phantoms is easy, it’s all in exec.py. All the infrastructure is already there.

If you really are not interested, I could have a go at it. But I don’t know Python nor ST internals, so it might not be pretty.

0 Likes

Creating the phantoms is easy, it’s all in exec.py. All the infrastructure is already there.

I meant adding support for the phantoms requires more code than to support click-to-open-file.

0 Likes

Maybe that could be farmed out into a separate package.

0 Likes

Just impressive.

0 Likes

Note that nature_clipboard is now called nature_keyboard because ctrl+w is added.

0 Likes

Thanks for the notice. Curious to know if “nature” is intentional or if it should be “natural”?

0 Likes

Use PackageResourceViewer to extract your UI theme.

Then Sublime Text > Preferences > Browse Packages...

Look for your UI theme name that ends in .sublime-settings and disable it just like you would in your Preferences.sublime-settings.

1 Like

Ai, good point.

0 Likes

"view_settings": {
    "caret_style": "blink",
    "rulers":
    [
    ],
    "scroll_past_end": false,
}

Thank you for that :slight_smile: The scroll_past_end makes the output panel feel more “solid” as a terminal (while I can keep it set for normal files).

0 Likes