Sublime Forum

FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

I am unable to build my project due to this error on Windows

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 1104, in _execute_child

FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

0 Likes

An error telling you that windows can’t find the file specified, especially in the context of an attempt to run a program as Sublime is doing when you try to execute a build, is usually indicative of the thing you’re trying to run not being properly set up in the system PATH and you haven’t provided a full path to the thing you’re trying to run (i.e. windows can’t run what you’re asking it to because it can’t find it)…

In order to work from Sublime, you need to be able to open a windows command prompt and enter what Sublime is trying to run and have it work.

For example, if you were trying to run python, you should be able to do this:

C:\Users\Terence>python
Python 3.6.0 (v3.6.0:41df79263a11, Dec 23 2016, 08:06:12) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AM
D64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

If on the other hand you try to run the program and you see something like the following, windows can’t execute the program because it doesn’t know where it is:

C:\Users\Terence>python
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

In this case you need to either either add what you’re trying to run to the PATH (search google for the appropriate steps for your version of windows) or modify the build system to specify exactly where the thing you’re trying to run is.

0 Likes

I am able to run python from cmd and its also set on windows PATH variable too.
How to modify the build system for python.?

P.S. I have downloaded python 3.3 from python.org.

0 Likes

Are you actually building this program, or is it a plugin for Sublime Text. Because I remember having an issue like this with ST’s python (which is python 3.3).

0 Likes

I am running a demo app from “ShoreTel Summit” using Summit Editor as Build System.I have also installed ST 's Python 3

0 Likes

1 Like