Sublime Forum

File Manager: An optimised package

I ask you a few question before, but you forgot to answer them.

1. Does it show the popup right away, are once you’ve typed the path or one you’ve pressed enter? (It should be right away)
  2. Does it do this all the time (is it working some times? if yes, when)?
  3. from where do you create your file? (sidebar, shortcut, command palette…)
  4. Do you have some folders open?
  5. Do you have a file open?

Matt

0 Likes

Sorry math! Here comes some clarifications!

Pop up shows right away, all the time.

I have a file open

Right click on the sidebar on a folder and choose new file

Once I remove file manager I can right click and create a new file on the sidebar

0 Likes

So this is a path in a network share?

0 Likes

That is correct!

0 Likes

I don’t use this, so it’s going to be hard, but let’s try.

Can you install this https://github.com/math2001/FileManagerTests

Then, right click on this folder, and choose Test if this(ese) item(s) exists. (you can pick mutilple folders/files).

The console should open, tell me what you see. If everything was ok, you should see

| ------------------------------ | ------ | ------ |
|             Path               | Exists | Is dir |
| ------------------------------ | ------ | ------ |
| '<Path to your shared folder>' |  True  |  True  |

Some other questions :smiley:

1. What version of sublime text are you using?
  2. Do you have git?

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it! :+1:

Matt

0 Likes

I am using the latest sublime dev build, and not installed git currently :slightly_smiling:

Here is how it looks:

0 Likes

I found the problem. (a function was removing the slash before in path_helper.py)

I pushed a commit that should solve the problem. Tell me if it works :slight_smile:

Matt

1 Like

Awesome will check tomorrow!

0 Likes

Works like a charm now! Thanks :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Hi,
do you think there is an easy way to re-introduce “Open/Run” command as exists in Side​Bar​Enhancements package?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

What is the open/run command? Is it just executing the file with the default application (like dbclicking on the file)?

No, I don’t think it’d be hard, but I never use it… What do you need it for?

0 Likes

Uups, sorry for delay!
Yes, that’s what I am talking about.

In my specific situation, I am using pandoc to create a single file out of several individual files. Therefore I’ve created a batch/shell script to be called for assembling items.

Each time I modifiy one of theme, I need to run that script.
I know I could use a tool similar to https://www.nodesoft.com/foldermonitor, but I prefer to issue such a command manually. And for convenience, I’ve done it via ST3 file tree.

0 Likes

Hum, I guess you better use a build system, or even a shortcut using the exec command? You could even do a plugin that automatically compiles the big file when you save a small one.

Create a build system (save this content into a file called Batch.sublime-build, in your User directory)

{
    "cmd": "$file",
    "selector": "source.dosbatch"
}

Then, open you batch file that builds your main file, and press ctrl+b (select batch if it asks you).

As you probably understood, I’m a bit against this feature, because sublime text comes with a much better one (build system) and I don’t think a lot of people use this feature (tell me if I’m wrong).

But, really you should create a plugin that compiles when you save. If you don’t know how to, give be a bit more infos, I’m happy to do it for you (in this case, open a new topic).

Matt

0 Likes

I agree that a build system seems like a much better solution in this case; cleaner and also far less work to invoke. One of the things I really like in Sublime is how it fosters the notion that the more time you keep your hands on the keyboard, the faster you’re able to work.

Just to play devil’s advocate, the ability to “Open With” to open in another application comes in handy in situations where you have a file in your project that can’t be actively edited directly in Sublime. Some examples that I’ve run into include PDF documentation that I need to reference during a change or an Image which (while Viewable in sublime) I would like to be able to edit as well.

Of course, how handy that might be is also open to debate as well; even though I like the idea I tend to not bother working that way anyway because I’ve always got a couple of terminals open. Also it may be more of a pain to make it OS agnostic. I use Sublime on all supported platforms and if I recall correctly (been a while) SideBarEnhancements doesn’t allow you to set different programs for different OS’s, which was a bit of a pain.

0 Likes

Now the term doesn’t sounds good, but a build system would do the trick, no?

@mikethedwarf As you probably guessed, I’m probably not going to include this feature. It’s going to be hard to support the different OS, and a build system should often do the trick. If it’s not the case, then a plugin should do it.

Again, @mikethedwarf if you want me to make you a plugin that compiles your files when you save them, just let me know. :slightly_smiling:

Matt

0 Likes

Is it possible to trigger a build system based on the extension of an unopened file from the sidebar without having to resort to a plugin to do it? I know you can invoke the build command if you wanted to, but I thought that it would either select the build based on the currently open file or based on the presence of a known file (e.g. Makefile).

0 Likes

Thanks you very much for insights!

Using “Open” was my lazy approach utilizing SideBarEnchancments plug in.

Totally agree, a build system seems to be a good and portable solution.
I did not use it that much yet because ST3-documentation (http://docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/reference/build_systems.html) warns:

“Build system selection is currently undergoing a rework in the dev channel.
The following information may be outdated.”

Therefore I decided not to invest too much effort in understandig it. Till yet.

Anyhow, thank you for support!

0 Likes

You’re asking if there’s a command build_file {"file": "my/file.ext"} and that only shows up if it’s the right extension? it sounds pretty specific. I’m don’t think there’s such command (just checked in the command reference ).

Matt

0 Likes

That was my understanding as well. Without the ability to do that (without an extra plugin of some sort) I’m not sure how a build system could be used to open a file in an external application if you can’t open it in sublime first.and have it be recognized by scope.

As an example, a PDF file opens up as Plain Text and although I can view an image in Sublime, it doesn’t have a scope applied so a build system can’t be triggered for it automatically to open it in e.g. gimp.

2 Likes

Well, in theory ST already knows the file’s base scope since it needs that for filetype icons, but this information isn’t exposed and not used by build systems (since they only operate on the currently active view).

1 Like