Sublime Forum

Extract font face?

I want to use st’s fonts (EmilbusMono, Consolas, etc) on my website, but I don’t see .ttf files with such name in st’s install directory. How can I extract such font families as single .ttf file that I can include in my website or anywhere I want. I want such files to be simple .ttf file (font face files).

Tried searching in sublime_text.exe and in plugin_host.exe and in all .dll files and other .exe binary files by .ttf signature in order to extract fonts I want, but without luck. Where is st storing such fonts and how can I extract them all into a stand-alone portable .ttf file?

Maybe st is storing fonts encrypted or packed? So in that case st must somehow unpack it in order to use the glyphs from the font file. I ran sublime_text.exe with debugger and made several memory dumps, but nowhere found any .ttf file signature. Where are emilbus_mono and consolas font stored? How to extract them and convert into ttf files.

I also asked this on github, but I dont see replies there. Here I am asking too.

0 Likes

Anyone know the answer?
Let me /cc some people that I see are active in this forum: @͏kingkeith, @deathaxe, @͏FichteFoll

And also let me /cc the user @wbond, which seems to be admin here, but I’m not sure. Does any of you people know the answer? Who knows?

0 Likes

as far as I know, ST doesn’t embed any fonts, it only uses the fonts installed in your OS. I have never heard of that font you referenced. ST uses the system’s configured monospace font by default in some places.

0 Likes

See What is Sublime Text's default font face?
and https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27884933/how-to-install-emilbus-mono-font-in-sublime-text-3-in-windows

In the first link, second reply, it says “Emilbus Mono” is the font face.
In the second link, read the comments on the question. It says EmilbusMono font can not be found anywhere, but st still uses it and renders as text. So, where is it stored? I want to use EmilbusMono as .portable ttf file.

0 Likes

on Linux, if you check the preferences, you will see that ST uses a font called Ubuntu Mono by default, but still, ST does not ship with any fonts. You shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet.

1 Like

I didn’t say you’re wrong. I’m just wondering are we talking about the same software? Let’s make it as clear as possible:

1. There are a lot of articles on the internet talking about “Emilbus Mono” font family being the default st’s font (at least on some platforms and at least in some st’s versions)
  2. There are a lot of github repositories containing “EmilbusMono” as configured font family in some projects, see https://github.com/search?q=emilbus+mono&type=Code
  3. Clearly, there is some font familly named “Emilbus Mono”. I don’t know if st ships with it or not, but people would not talk about it if it doesn’t exist. Not one person is talking about it, but 2K+ people
  4. So we agree that “Emilbus Mono” is a font family that exists (it is real) and it is somehow related to st, since st uses it?
  5. Then, my question is: where is EmilbusMono.ttf file I can use as a portable font face file that I can include in my projects

If the font family emilbusmono is builtin in linux, it should be possible to download it from the internet, but it is not possible.

You are telling me that I should not believe stuff that I found on the internet? Ok, so did you read the link I posted to the article from this forum where people are talking about emilbus mono being st’s default font face? Please read it here, it is not external article, it is from this forum: What is Sublime Text's default font face?

Read the replies there. Reply from user myunlessor: Emilbus Mono
then read further, reply from user jbjornson: Nice font (Emilbus Mono). Where can one download it…a google search didn’t show up any results?
Then next reply from user fooziex: emilbuS Mono. I’m not sure what font the demo on the homepage is using. I’ll recommend some good free monospace fonts while I’m here, though

@kingkeith, so what do you mean by your arguments? People on this forum are talking about EmilbusMono and complaining that it cannot be download anywhere. Again, are we talking about the same software?

My question remains: where is the file EmilbusMono.ttf

0 Likes

you mean “since many people claimed in the past that ST used it”

I’ve seen people talk nonsense even on these forums, so that isn’t a valid argument for it being true.
Maybe it was built in to some distros, maybe it was renamed to Ubuntu Mono or maybe it didn’t exist and Ubuntu Mono was used as a fallback. Have you confirmed that Ubuntu Mono is not the same font?

0 Likes