Sublime Forum

Drag selection?

Yet another +1. I’ve never seen an application that doesn’t support it (even the barebones notepad.exe in older versions of Windows). I use it all the time (I’d guess a dozen times per hour) to avoid overwriting my clipboard contents while moving a bit of code here or there. I know there’s a clipboard history plugin, but that’s just not the same.

0 Likes

Rather than using a modifier key, I think it would be much nicer to have an option in the menu that enables this functionality - one the the points of being able to drag with the mouse is not having to use the keyboard.
Plus, it seems that either a person is accustomed to having this functionality in their text editor or they absolutely hate it - I think it would be fine to have an enable/disable option rather than a modifier key (which would be more suited for those who only like to use it sometimes).

[quote=“jbjornson”]Count me as another person that absolutely hates it when selections can be dragged with the mouse. For me it is totally counter-intuitive behavior and I have only succeeded in accidentally moving text with this “feature”.

That said, everyone is different and I can imagine that this feature might be very intuitive and helpful for someone else. If this functionality is added, I would suggest using it along with a modifier key. So, for example, you could only drag a selection if you are holding down the ctrl key at the same time. Also, please add an option for people to be able to disable it.[/quote]

0 Likes

AS posted in another thread i made a plugin to try to emulate this function : with alt+right click (move) or alt+ctrl+right click (copy) instead of the drag. Works only in the same tab (you cannot select a text from one tab to copy/mode it to another tab …)
Available directly from Package Control under PasteSelOnClick.

0 Likes

Drag selection is something I really miss.

I presented ST2 to some people and when observing how they use the editor I noticed they miss drag selection too, followed by an exclamation such Blarg!! ??

0 Likes