Sublime Forum

Drag & Drop on Linux

Hi,
I’m switching between Sublime Text on Windows and Linux and one thing drives me crazy:

I use the setting “drag_text”: true on both installations (registered, 3207) and while drag & drop works on Windows, it doesn’t on Linux.

I found some rather old topics (2013, 2012, etc) about this, but hopefully it isn’t a bug that exists since then?

0 Likes

Text drag and drop hasn’t been implemented for quite some time on Linux, however we did recently implement it. The current Sublime Merge release already has text drag support and the next Sublime Text build will also be shipping with it.

5 Likes

And on KDE? Does Sublime Text open the KDialog instead of X dialog?

0 Likes

Thanks, very much appreciated!

0 Likes

Our current linux implementation is built on top of GTK and we use GTK’s dialog implementation. If there’s something simple we can do to make GTK behave better alongside kde we’ll try it, but I think rewriting all the gtk parts using qt/kde is probably not worth it.

1 Like

Drag and drop seems to work fine from Gnome nautilus-3.32.1-2.fc30.x86_64 on fedora 30

I was able to open sublime text, open nautilus and then drag a file from nautilus to sublime and it would open that file.

0 Likes

The drag and drop being referred to here is text drag and drop, e.g. being able to rearrange the content of a file by selecting and dragging it. That currently works on MacOS and Windows, but not on Linux.

0 Likes

Exactly.

@ bschaaf: Is there a timeframe when to expect the release with working d&d?

0 Likes

We don’t have an exact timeframe for the next dev build, but I’m hoping sooner rather than later.

0 Likes

I think you are losing sales