Sublime Forum

DoxyDoxygen: An alternative to DocBlockr

Yes and yes. The pre-release there is just an older version (much like 2.10.0 would be). You could have a url be shared between releases, though there is no point in doing that as one of the releases would most likely be redundant.

Your proposed life cycle is correct.
If you want to use multiple pre-release versions, you would be releasing e.g. 1.0.1-beta.1 and then increase the number for each new beta release. Note that due to an implementation detail in the packagecontrol.io database sorting, 1.0.1-beta.10 errorneously has higher precedence than 1.0.1-beta.9, should you ever end up needing 10 beta releases. The workaround is to use 91 as the next version after 9.

0 Likes

As expected, since I have removed the alias, the number of download has significaly decreased (divide per 3, as the alias was used more that than the officla name).
Feedbacks about this plugin are usually good even if download count is low (<30k)… A lot of users have requested me to port it on VSCode for example because it’s the only service they can have with they now editor.

I don’t know how to increase the visibility of this module…
It’s hard to find a “good” package using Package Control
For example, many C++ programmers have tried DoxyDoc before testing DoxyDoxygen… And sometime, they don’t remove it and they report me problems that are in this plugin (see Know issues). Perhaps somtime, they simply consider my plugin as buggy and left it… I don’t know…
Because of this, it’s hard to provide the best user experience using Sublime Text

Perhaps my best option is to introduce a new package “DocBlockR to DoxyDoxygen” using the “dependencies” tag and adding a command to translate DocBlockr settings to DoxyDoxygen ones… Don’t know.

For now, because this topic was originally about DoxyDoxygen. The version 0.60.0 is now out with a better Solidity, Clojure, JsDoc3 and PhpUnit support (all new tags are now recognized)

0 Likes

I’m not sure if the download statistics on https://packagecontrol.io/packages/DoxyDoxygen are joined on renames or merges, though that would seem like the only reasonable explanation for the dramatically decreased installation counts. It may, however, be something else if this ends up not being the case.

0 Likes

I can’t be 100% sure, but when I was looking at these two packages I’m sure I saw Dockblockr_with_update having something like 15K installs and DoxyDoxygen having 11K installs which was part of what made me wonder why, if they are the same, one with the conflicting name would have more installs. Since the name change DoxyDoxygen now has 26K installs, which to me looks like the total of the previous two.

1 Like

I confirm. Even if the alias was more recent, the download count was greater than the official name. That’s why I have preserved the entry when I’ve decided to merge the “DocBlockr” specific version and the main one.

A rating system or “similar plugin” suggestion system may be a good improvement of Package Control.

On the DocBlockr forum, we can find user that look for similar projects… And as already said, many developpers that contact me have already tried DocBlockr and DoxyDoc…
Why DocBlockr_Python has many more download than AutoDocString ?

As the number of download has too drascally decreased (and like the plugin seem to fulfil a need). If nobody disagree, I will probably reintroduce, at the and of the week, a “DocBlockr over DoxyDoxygen” plugin (a special edition of DoxyDoxygen with a different keybinding). I will remove it once the “DocBlockr To DoxyDoxygen” plugin will be ready.
Not great, but probably the best option.

0 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t really have time to look into this issue right now, but the code that handles renames is at https://github.com/wbond/packagecontrol.io/blob/master/app/models/package/modify.py. Hopefully that should illuminate the issue (which I think has to do with install counts?).

0 Likes

Thanks. I don’t think there is an issue with “rename”.
The temporary entrie I have created was more widely used than the historical one.
It’s explain why the package download have decreased.
I’ve just reintroduced the deleted entry with a clear message for the users (and some the specific shortcuts activated)

0 Likes