Sublime Forum

Downgrade ST4 to ST3

Hi there, My Sublime Text just upgraded to version 4, however, I then saw the message, “License Upgrade Required”. In being out of work for awhile, I cannot afford to pay for Sublime Text again, at least not right now.

Is there a way I can downgrade back to Sublime Text 3? (And still keep all my currently opened windows and files?—I have a lot open, so need to check into how to back all those up next.)

Thanks.

0 Likes

You can download ST3 here.
You can also get there by clicking “download” in the nav, then looking at “Other downloads” on the right side, you’ll see the “Sublime Text 3” option.

Not sure what you mean you want to keep your currently opened windows. Just save your work and re-open it afterwards.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded and installed ST3 into its own directory, then when I launched it, ST4 still came up.

So I renamed my old ST install folder (now ST4) to “Program Files\Sublime Text 3old”, and the new (ST3) folder to “Program Files\Sublime Text 3” to replace it, and ST4 still came up.

Do I need to do a full uninstall of Sublime Text to get ST3 back? And will my ST3 license still be good as it was yesterday?

0 Likes

I mean the point of downgrading is to remove the new version and replace it with the old version, right?

0 Likes

You never know with some software installs. So it is unless you’re worried about losing your configurations as I’ve heard others have lost. Am just trying to be careful not to lose all my configuration files as I was singing along nicely until prompted to update—I was not expecting to be upgraded to ST4, only to have to figure out how to roll back without losing stuff; thus, the purpose of asking experts for help.

So I will uninstall it completely, and reinstall 3, and hope everything goes back to where I was at.

0 Likes

Make a backup of your configuration and then downgrade.

0 Likes

Am I safe to assume all the configs are saved in “C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3”, and not hidden in the registry or elsewhere?

0 Likes

I made copies of everything I could find, and thanks to some other threads, was able to downgrade successfully.

I have no regrets in asking because right now I don’t quite trust ST. This one prompt killed two hours. I had read ST4 was coming out, but had no idea it was today and that this was it. Plus I was hoping this thread may help others as well.

Useful reference thread: What’s the best way to backup the ST3 configuration

3 Likes

As a licensed user on ST3 using a portable install I got hit by this surprise today. I don’t remember if the window said “Update Availble” or “Upgrade Available”, but nothing was mentioned that this would invalidate my license.

After updating and seeing [UNREGISTERED] and finding and pasting in my license key, I’m notified it’s not longer valid, because apparently the upgrade was for a major version (how should I have known?).

As others, I then waste some time to figure out how to downgrade to a version I have a license for.

I’m glad ST is getting a new version and might evaluate it, but I don’t like how you made me update and then informed me my license is now invalid.

3 Likes

You need to get your facts right. https://www.sublimehq.com/store/text

The price for a new ST license is $99 for three years worth of updates from the day you purchase. It’s not $99 for one year. And I don’t see why the hate for pricing model and the price. We all are working to put food on the table and the SHQ team is no exception. The licensing scheme for ST/SM is the best I have seen so far.

1. 3 years worth of updates.
  2. An unlimited evaluation period for stable builds. And now with the licensing model changes, they are able to roll out stable updates much faster. This year itself has seen 3 stable updates (4107, 4113, 4121).
  3. Use on as many systems you want.
  4. Use of personal licenses on work computers.

I don’t think I have seen any software where the licensing scheme is as good as this. Most of them are either subscription based or can only be used on 1 or 2 systems. It’s the best of both worlds for licensed and non licenses folks.

5 Likes

Let me just add that I did upgrade my license to ST4…I’m not full-time developer and, so far, haven’t used ST a lot…Was experimenting with Emacs and Vim-based workflow, but realized that ST does allow me to use Vim keybindings via NeoVintageous and it does save my precious time which I 'd have to spend tinkering with other editors. :sunny:

Lastly, I’m from the country with non-flourishing economy (Croatia) and despite do not complain about the price.

There are other free alternatives available on the market - one which is very popular, but we do not want to use/support it due to ideological reasons :wink: , so it’s fair to compensate devs who are providing first class product :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

I live in India and the license cost is pretty expensive here as well. 99$ ~ Rs. 7400 in India going by todays rupees dollar exchange rate and that amount could pay someone’s house rent for a month in an average city. But at least, I don’t rant or bash the developers for it :wink:

6 Likes