Sublime Forum

Double-Click in Search-Field should set cursor to this field

I’m using Sublime 3 on a Windows PC and would like to suggest the following change:

If you open the Find&Replace Dialog (e.g. Ctrl, Shift & F) and double-click to select the content of one field (e.g. “Where:”) the cursor is not set to this field. Meaning: if you now type, you don’t override the selected text as expected but still write at the old position of the cursor.
Usually a double-click selects text and allows the user to override the text.

Regards

0 Likes

Are you clicking the label or inside the actual field? I ask because for me it seems to do what you are asking. Selection works as it does in the main editor. If I double-click inside the field then it selects the word. If I triple-click then it selects the entire line. When I start typing it replaces whatever is selected.

Maybe I’m not understanding, or is it possible some extension is messing with the default behavior for you?

0 Likes

github.com/SublimeText/Issues/issues/327

0 Likes

@estmatic: i click the field, not the label.
there is a differnce between triple and double click:
The searchbox has three field,

• if the cursor is inside the text-content above searchfield and I double click in a field, the text is selected but the field does not become active
  • if the cursor is inside the text-content above searchfield and I triple click in a non active field, the whole field is selected and becomes active
  • if the cursor is in any of the three fields and I double click in an active field, the text is selected

I would expect that in all three cases (double/triple click, no matter where the cursor is) the cursor would be placed behind the marked text.

@tito: you sure that’s the same thing? The github ticket is about different tabs, I got the problem inside the same tab.

0 Likes

yeah I also find this very annoying, so I logged it here:

also related:

0 Likes

This has been happening as long as I remember, and on OS X as well. Gets annoying, specially as undo seems to be separate between the search box fields and the document itself. Thus, undoing any accidental replacing done when the focus wasn’t where it was expected to be can lead to undoing the wrong thing.

I think this is also related to a similar bug: I select a word, press cmd-alt-f to search and replace it, click the Replace With field, start typing… and what I type starts replacing the selected word inside the document, where the focus has remained.

I can’t consistently reproduce either one of these, but it doesn’t usually take too many tries for this to (seemingly) randomly happen.

0 Likes