Sublime Forum

[Solved] Does Sublime Text Really Support OS X Retina Display?

I learned from Google that Sublime Text support OS X Retina Display, but on my Macbook it seems that Sublime Text does’t work well with retina display.

The right one is Sublime Text.

I don’t know if it was because of my fault…

OS X 10.11.4
Sublime Text 3114

0 Likes

Forum request thread

What does ST write in the console as the first line (the one with dpi scale)?

0 Likes

At least I don’t see such line in Sublime console. Using 3114 on OSX. But, on my Retina MBP ST3 seems to work just fine. I don’t see the problems described in the first post.

0 Likes

This is the first line in the console. On Windows at least. Try to scroll, not every theme shows scroll bar in the console by default.

0 Likes

Yes, I know about scrolling :slight_smile: and there is no such line on OSX/3114. Remember, we are not talking about Windows builds but OSX and Retina displays.

0 Likes

Oh, I’m sorry. I thought that console output pretty platform independent. Because on Linux this line is present too.

0 Likes

It’s not Sublime Console.
I was editing text in ST.
Actually I was comparing Sublime Text with Atom

And the text in ST has some sawtooth.

Forgive my poor English if my description was not so clear.

0 Likes

Sorry, I don’t understand.

The picture I upload is just the text edit interface and I upload another picture in another reply.

Could you please have a look?

0 Likes

0 Likes

The latest screenshot you posted looks quite OK to me. The first screenshot looks like they are taken with different resolution: pixels quite big in the right hand ‘hello world’…

Just to be sure: does ST3 font look bad only in screenshot comparison or does it look bad always during editing?

(I’m asking just to make sure the screenshots are not rendered with different resolution. Don’t remember how retina actually works…)

0 Likes

startup, version: 3114 osx x64 channel: stable

And it seems the rest of content does’t have description of dpi scale.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes

Actually the two screenshots were token in the same condition.

In the first screenshot I just took a part of the screenshot.

The second did seem to be okay, I think the reason is that the picture has been compressed.

The actual difference is just as it’s showed in the first screenshot, which shows the two windows I opened at the same time (the left is Atom, the right is ST) . It’s not a merged picture.

0 Likes

Ok. The first image indeed looks odd as the resolution is totally different in the fonts as you can see. I’m not seeing any of that on my rMBP no matter what the font size is.

I’d try with all packages disabled and also after a ST3 reinstall.

0 Likes

In fact, ST looks like this on my rMBP 13’’ when I first use it. :see_no_evil: I just don’t know why.

And just know I uninstalled ST (totally), and then reinstall, the appearance didn’t change.

You can also tell the diff from the button.

The one above is ST.

0 Likes

Are you running Sublime from the Application folder?

0 Likes

Yes. Specifically, from Launchpad.

0 Likes

Double check that you don’t have the ‘Open in Low Resolution’ box ticked in the OSX info dialog for Sublime Text.app - see https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/HighResolutionOSX/Explained/Explained.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012302-CH4-SW12

Modifying the Info.plist file within Sublime Text.app can also cause this.

4 Likes

That worked! Thanks a lot!

Just unchecked the box, ‘Open in Low Resolution’.

0 Likes