Sublime Forum

Do you recommend ST4 upgrade, or should I keep ST3?

The number of issues is much more an indicator of how issues are managed than anything to do with the quality of a project. Some projects prefer a small number of larger issues, others a large number of small issues. Some have bots that close issues after inactivity regardless of whether they’re still valid, others have a large number of inherited issues.

The Sublime Text issue tracker only recently became official, before which it was managed primarily by community members. The vast majority of issues simply have never been looked at by anyone on the team. If you instead look at the pulse statistics you can see the number of issues is trending downwards: https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/pulse/monthly

5 Likes

Maybe worth mensioning that many nasty and even long lasting bugs/issues have been addressed in ST4.

5 Likes

I wonder why SublimeHQ didn’t start a new Github project to track issues specifically to ST4? It would help clean up a lot of really outdated issues that are no longer relevant, and archive old ones specific to ST3 for historic purposes.

0 Likes

Because doing so would have drop all the recently added issues that were well managed and at that point used internally. There’s also a fair number of popular older issues that got fixed in ST4 and some that didn’t; dropping those would have been worse for everyone.

4 Likes

Not a former ST user but a newcomer to Sublime Text (and Sublime Merge) here :wave:, switching from VSCode (which I’ve been using since 2017): to me both ST4 and SM2 are totally worth every cent (I bought the bundle).

I’m specially surprised that I like so much Sublime Merge given that I’m a heavy CLI user and I’m used to do all my git stuff from the terminal, yet SM somehow manages to make me want to use it.

Since I really never used ST2 or ST3 I can’t tell if it is worth to upgrade to ST4 in terms of features, enhancements, polishing and whatnot, but so far I’m fairly impressed with the quality of the software and the wonderful, top-notch support from the company – shoutout to Sublime Pty sales representative Kari N.!

So yeah, I’m quite happy with ST4 so far, I use it heavily everyday and while I miss some good extensions from VSCode, ST feels just so good I can’t even think of going back to VSCode or my beloved Emacs (Spacemacs, actually).

4 Likes

My experience of upgrading to ST4 from ST3 was rather smooth. Nothing really changed of the way I work apart from a couple of shortcuts (see ctrl+J) and maybe subtle features (like getting side by side view by clicking on tabs).

I also had a couple of plugins that needed to be updated, which was done without any hassle from myside, I just needed to restart sublime text.

I was annoyed a bit at the inconvenience of changing some habits of mine and having to pay for a new license but I trust the developers’ decisions because they are usually better than mine when it comes to editors.

I chose ST3 back in 2013 because it was by far the leading editor back then. Still today I better trust the vision of what an editor should look like to these developers than anyone else. I believe that an editor designed by a conglomerate of opinions will try to catch them all and end up catching none at all.

So I would recommend upgrading to ST4.

3 Likes