Sublime Forum

Directory tree collapses randomly

The directory tree on the sidebar closes randomly but its more frequent after I opened a new file, if I do that it closes almost every time after 30sec or more, sometimes it takes a few minutes…
I don’t use projects just added folders.

Version 3.2.1 Build 3207
Windows 8.1
Built in git is disabled

"installed_packages": [
		"ApplySyntax",
		"BracketHighlighter",
		"CSS3",
		"DocBlockr",
		"EditorConfig",
		"Emmet",
		"Git",
		"Handlebars",
		"HTML5",
		"jQuery",
		"LESS",
		"LiveReload",
		"MarkdownPreview",
		"Nettuts+ Fetch",
		"Package Control",
		"Phpcs",
		"PlainTasks",
		"Sass",
		"SCSS",
		"Seti_UI",
		"Seti_UX",
		"SublimeCodeIntel",
		"SublimeLinter",
		"SublimeLinter-phpcs"
]
0 Likes

Does this still happen on a fresh install? You can either revert your install as described here or use the portable version to test.

0 Likes

If I use a clean install then the problem not occurs but a clean install is almost useless for work. How can I go forward? Turn off the plugins one by one in the original install or can I find some error message whats happening?

0 Likes

Does pressing ctrl+k, ctrl+b display the sidebar again, after it was closed/hidden?

Or is it closed because all folders are removed from workspace (by a plugin)?

Basically, you’d need to try disabling plugins one by one at this point. Can’t see one to blame though.

I’d exclude the following plugins from the ones to blame (use them without sidebar getting closed):

"ApplySyntax",
"EditorConfig",
"HTML5",
"MarkdownPreview",
"Package Control",
"PlainTasks",
"Sass",
"SublimeLinter",
"SublimeLinter-phpcs"

Btw.: As the Sass package supports both SASS and SCSS, you’d might not need the SCSS package.

Seti_UI and Seti_UX are just a theme/color scheme without plugin logic. Should not cause your issue.

1 Like

In addition to @deathaxe, I would first disable the following plugins in this order:

1. Nettuts+ Fetch
  2. LiveReload
  3. Handlebars

And I would advise to completely remove:

1. Emmet because Crash Sublime Text 3 when press 'tab' key in style html attr
  2. SublimeCodeIntel because it conflicts with a wonder of other plugins and is unmaintained. I would adivise to use LSP and some language server instead of SublimeCodeIntel
0 Likes

Yes of course, this isn’t related to my problem. The sidebar only closes if I want. :wink:

No, the folders are still present.

Sorry, you misunderstood me: the sidebar doesn’t closing, the opened directory trees on the sidebar are closing.

I deleted the cache files. It helped a bit, now it takes more than a hour or so to get the problem.

I started to disable the plugins one by one during work so I can try out the changes.

Thanks for the tip, I deleted the SCSS package immediatly. It was a very old unmainted stuff indeed.

0 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions.

I like to use emmet, sometimes it makes my work very easy, the problem you mentioned never occured on my install. But if it’s causing the problem then I will delete it.

I deleted it and will look for other solutions in the future.

0 Likes

If you mean that the folders are collapsing themselves and you need to click them to see their contents, then the reason that’s happening is that something is modifying the list of folders and files that are being displayed in the sidebar (e.g. something you’re doing explicitly or a package is doing you favors).

That covers things like adding or removing top level folders, changing the order that they appear in the side bar, changing their display name (not renaming on disk but telling Sublime to display them with a different name), or modifying the list of files or folders that are displayed by using settings like file_exclude_patterns and the other related settings that control what appears in the side bar.

Whenever the contents of the side bar changes and the list is refreshed, Sublime collapses all of the folders.

If you mean that the folders are literally disappearing from the side bar (e.g. you have “MyFolder” listed, and then it goes away), the reason for that would tend to be similar to the above; something told the window not to display that folder, you told Sublime to remove it (which seems unlikely or you’d notice yourself doing it :wink: ) or the folder is going away on disk (which also seems like it’s probably not the issue because that is pretty noticeable as well).

1 Like

Yeah! Exactly like that! The opened folders are collapsing!

Thats on default, its not present in my User preference.
These are my settings: https://gist.github.com/orionstar/69531f00022a8a3bb9cc5879a2442634
The list of ignored packages are changes as I try to disable them.

0 Likes

Are you using sublime-project files at all? Project files can also contain those settings to control what files are presented for folders that are a part of your project, so modifying the project can also cause this to happen as well.

In addition, even a window without a dedicated project attached has project data associated with it if you’ve opened a folder, and something changing the contents of that anonymous data will trigger this as well.

It may be worth checking the feature sets of the packages that you’re using to see if they have features that sound like they may be doing something that tickles this area (e.g. hiding or showing folders for you to adjusting filters). That might help narrow down which one is doing it.

0 Likes

Thank you everyone for your kind help. By disabling and removing packages I finally get rid of the issue.
I think the cause of the problem was one of the linter I installed…

1 Like