Sublime Forum

Detached console window

Hi,

Is there a way in ST3 to detach the bottom console (debug result) to put it fullscreen on another monitor ?

Thks

0 Likes

No, but you can copy the contents into a new ST window if you want to read it (or store it for later). I do that occasionally.

0 Likes

Output to the console goes to all windows simultaneously (even though a new window starts with an empty console) so one workaround is to create another window on the other monitor and size the console way up.

Unfortunately internal constraints stop you from sizing the console to 100% of the window height, but you can make it pretty tall.

2 Likes

you could override exec.py and get it to output to a normal view instead of an output panel, and adjust the layout of the window so it looks a bit like an output panel… but unfortunately one can’t change the layout just for a specific view in the window :wink:

0 Likes

Not sure we’re talking about exec output or the actual console within st, but in case of the latter, you could also monkey patch sys.stdout (and stderr) in a plugin.

0 Likes

I have also requested this functionality, but I got response that it is nowhere a top priority, even it is not considered to be done. However, I think this may be really desired thing, especially to these working on multi-monitor setup, or these coming from TextMate that offers output pane to be integrated right, bottom or detached.

Can create a feature request and upvote it somewhere?

1 Like

You can open a Issue on the core issue tracker and up vote it:

1. https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues
0 Likes

there’s a similar feature request here:

1 Like

From a conversation elsewhere: It should be possible to redirect the console to a file, then we could use 3rd party log file monitors.

0 Likes

It is possible. May be there is package which does that already.

You just need to install a listener on sys.stderr and sys.stdout and redirect the contents to a file.

0 Likes