Sublime Forum

Dear Jon Skinner, thank you so much for Sublime Text

I worked with Sublime Text for several years now, mainly on a Mac. For the past 8 months I have been working on my master thesis in a company for many hours everyday and therefore had to switch to Windows, which was really very easy because of your cross-platform compatibility. Today, as I closed Sublime Text for the last time at my workplace, I realized how thankful I am for this text editor and I felt the need to express it. Sublime Text made me work efficiently; it didn’t crash a single time (which is a real achievement on Windows 7); it was always fast; it let me program in several programming languages at the same time; I had code intelligence for everything I needed; I could execute scripts, run custom commands with hotkeys, run build systems and directly jump to errors, and go through my Git history with ease. It was basically the hub for all my work.

Thank you, Jon Skinner, and everyone in the team, for making this great product for so many years now. You helped me reach an important goal and I can’t imagine how many people you empower to work efficiently and realize their visions.

BTW, I always used VS Code to do my commits, because their Git integration is great. I hope you will make something similar someday :slightly_smiling:

15 Likes

Portable setup on Windows for thesis

I realize this might be too late in your particular case, but on Windows you could try this portable setup:

• cmder
    • git-extras (to enhance the included git portable)
    • Sublime Text 3 (add the subl command to the cmder config)
    • MikTex (the portable LaTeX installation for your thesis)
      • add a *.sublime-project file to your thesis project which defines your LaTeX build options

user-aliases.cmd

subl="%CMDER_ROOT%\vendor\sublime3\sublime_text.exe" $*
subl2="%CMDER_ROOT%\vendor\sublime2\sublime_text.exe" $*

user-profile.cmd

set PATH=%CMDER_ROOT%\vendor\MiKTeX\miktex\bin;%PATH%
1 Like

Well I didn’t really need a portable setup, but thanks anyway :wink:

I used cmder (as transparent fullscreen overlay), which is great indeed.

I really like ShareLaTeX, which is a web service for writing LaTeX documents. Best thing about it is that you have no hassle with setup and builds. Their online editor is very good, and it also has Dropbox and Github synchronisation, so it would be possible to use ST.

@rppn have you ever used the VS Code Git integration? They created a nice UI for it, with very good side-by-side diffs; it’s so fast to see the changes you made in a file in order to write commits. I used the git integrations for ST, e.g. inline diffs with git log, but I always started up VS Code for my commits.

BTW I learned a lot about getting around my company’s useless corporate network internet security :nerd_face:
Package Control uses the WinINet DLL for downloads (which is great), but my company only allowed certain user agents, so I had to configure Package Control to use my browser’s user agent string. Then they used Symantec Endpoint Protection, which blocked every internet request coming from the command line. Therefore I used Fiddler to act as an http proxy and I configured all the command line tools (like git, npm, pip, cmake) to use it. Fiddler would then handle the connection and authentication with the company’s proxy (I had to setup basic auth with my credentials).

I had to program in C++ for my thesis, and I used Python and Node.js for scripting. I found these plugins to be really helpful:

• EasyClangComplete, Anaconda and Tern for code intelligence
  • MagicPython, Markdown Extended and CMakeEditor for better syntax highlighting
  • SublimeREPL to run py/js scripts within ST
  • GitGutter to see where I changed code
  • theme: Material Theme - Darker (tomato accent), color scheme: Monokai Extended, font: Source Code Pro ( with directwrite font option and line padding 4)

Feel free to ask me anything, e.g. about my build systems (cmake and msbuild) or plugin configs.

1 Like

Also just to add, my set up is tex live with LATEXTools plugin.
It is just great. Preview of images, auto suggestion for images and refernces, build system, reverse search, equations previews etc. for latex + sublime, its worth a dekko

0 Likes

Totally agreed. I used Emacs and Vim for 6 months each, and spent so much time fighting my editor. Sublime Text is incredible and it just works. It’s clear how much work went into making everything perfect and fast. It is a true masterpiece of engineering.

1 Like