Sublime Forum

Crash pasting large amount of text between tabs

I keep getting a problem where I copy a large number of lines in one tab, and paste into another window. It only crashes if i paste somewhere not at the end of the file (does crash if i’m pasting OVER the last content of the file). Sublime just poof, disappears, dead.

What can I best provide to report this to get it fixed

Large number of lines in my case is ~387,000 lines of xml

I’m on Windows 10 64 bit using Sublime Text 3 dev build 3125 64 bit
There is no event in the Windows Event Viewer related to the crash

0 Likes

is there a crash dump file in ST’s installation folder?

does it still crash with no third party plugins installed?

0 Likes

ah there are many crash dumps in the install folder.
I checked them all in VS 2015 and they all say “The thread used up its stack.”

I can still make it crash after renaming the app data folder that contains my settings/plugins, which is as fresh a sublime as i can muster right now.

0 Likes

are you able to share exact files and reproduction steps so the developers can look into it?

0 Likes

Have uploaded the two files i was using but anonymised… https://ufile.io/5c4c4

I can make it crash by:

open both files
select from the end of line 479339 to the end of file in a.xml
ctrl+c
select from the end of line 465063 to end of file in b.xml
ctrl+v

maybe a side note but it does not crash when highlighting is set to plain text instead of xml

0 Likes

thanks for sharing - interestingly it doesn’t crash for me on Windows 7 x64, with ST build 3125 - it takes a few seconds to paste but it works.

0 Likes

Just tried it on other machines

My Windows 10 x64 machine with build 3125 - crashed
Other Windows 10 x64 machine with build 3126 - crashed
Window 7 x64 machine with build 3126 - crashed
macOS Sierra 10.12.3 with build 3125 - success

0 Likes

Was this reproduced?

0 Likes

Hello,

I agree that this is extremely frustrating, I’ve spent some time solving it, and now I registered just to share what I’ve done, in case it may help others.

Long story short, the problem is caused by two distinct “active” selections that exist for the same file. My solution (“work-around”, if you wish) has been to add “self.view.window().active_view().sel().clear()” right after every “self.view.window().run_command(‘copy’)”.

Of course, this can only be done when you use your own routines for pasting. The ultimate solution would be to go through all the open views, check whether there are other views into the active file and clear the selections in all the other instances. My current solution is more “localised”, it only handles middle-button pastes when there are two “groups” open that show the same file.

In any case, the above explains what the error is, so that the developer can handle it if he wishes.

0 Likes