Sublime Forum

Congrats on the new forum

Am I the only person in the world that dislikes Discourse? Oh well, I’ll get used to it.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that most replies here are “oh update!” not “oh Discourse!” :slightly_smiling:
Anyway, it’s an improvement, isn’t it?

0 Likes

I think this is big step forward. While I would like to see new ST builds, I will take the improve forum. I hope it does not go down as often as the old forum.

Do we know if notifications are being set when someone responses to a thread, or are notifications still disabled as they were in the old system?

0 Likes

0 Likes

Hey guys,

Hope you enjoy the update as much as I am! Moderation will be easier, that’s for sure :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, great. A forum that doesn’t work without JavaScript anymore. Thanks for making it impossible to use for disabled people.

0 Likes

That would be a good reason to enable posting via email and using forums within one mailer - see my post.

1 Like

Oh, also the forum e-mail notifications are broken now. No current mail client can read Markdown …

0 Likes

Markdown is designed to be mostly human readable. If you’d like to see the rendered format, you can read the notifications via an email client with HTML.

Alternatively you can check for updates using RSS and disable email notifications. Or come check the forum occasionally and look at your Unread section.

In short, you have various options.

Is Discourse perfect? No. However, it improves things for a large number of users. Hopefully in the grand scheme of things you can accept the shortcomings and instead focus on the positives.

4 Likes

Come on! You are just picky now. You don’t need mail client that reads markdown; Discourse sends HTML via email.

Discourse is readable without javascript (you can’t post anything, but you can read). It’s half-crippled, to say so :smiley:

As for disabled people: I don’t have any experience in developing ARIA sites, but looking at the source, the code has plento of aria-label attributes (which is much more than it was on phpBB).

0 Likes

HTML mails are not recommended. On desktop devices, they mostly carry malware and spy tracker images, on mobile devices, they look broken. My mobile mail client does not even understand HTML mails for exactly this reason …

0 Likes

Upgrade your email client.

0 Likes

Sorry, but HTML mails are highly discouraged by anyone who even has a vague interest in data security. As if it wasn’t bad enough that I have to use a JavaScript-capable browser for this forum now. :frowning:

0 Likes

RSS feeds are good enough for you?

1 Like

Yes, they are indeed. I’ll switch to them. (Although it’s not quite great to have to add a number of new subscriptions now; alas…)

0 Likes

I’ve been able to follow and post to Discourse forums with both Claws mail which also does not support HTML as well as with Evolution where I also disabled HTML…

1 Like

Yeah, but probably you’re not a troll :wink:

3 Likes

Do you consider it acceptable behavior to call people with a certain security in mind “trolls”?

Do you work for the NSA?

0 Likes

If you were so concerned about your security in regards with JS apps, you wouldn’t:

1. Post anything since migration;
  • opened a topic that asked about user migration;
  • be seen 20 mins ago on this so security flawed forum;
  • use a closed source editor (:smiley:)

As I stated before, Discourse is perfectly readable when you have JS disabled. The only downside is that you can’t do anything but reading discussions.

There is one thing to be concerned about security. There is completely different thing to be paranoid and/or use web like it’s 1993.

3 Likes

This is a big improvement, IMO. Looking forward to future builds of ST!

1 Like