My thoughts exactly! I'm not sure I count as a plugin 'expert'... but I did go ahead and write a package:
It offers the following extensions over the old simple plugin:
- It has far fewer bugs.
- You can select the current style from the command palette.
- You can customise the style (different indent behaviour etc.) using the standard ST
- It has an item in the main menu for accessing preference (shortcut keys + custom styles)
- You can set the path easily and quickly from ST.
- The shortcuts are limited to C/C++ files (so clang-format doesn't go crazy on your Python code..)
- It actually shows error output from CF. to the user (and doesn't write over your buffer if they occurred).
- You can get it on package control!
Do let me know if you find any bugs!