Sublime Forum

Can't open samba shares

Ubuntu 16.04 lts server fxce4 desktop SublimeText 3 Samba shares on network server ubuntu 16.04
I can see the share in sublime text open dialogue but when I click open the file doesn’t load. I can the file from SublimeText on a Windows PC
I can open files on the local pc no problem,

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Frank

0 Likes

meaning the open dialog closes, but ST doesn’t open the file? are there any errors in the ST console?
does using subl to open the file work, or dragging it from a file explorer application? what path is the samba share mounted to?

0 Likes

Yes the dialog closes but the file doesn’t open. The console just shows a list of plugins being loaded. Dragging from the file manager didn’t do anything. “open with” subl same result.

Path: smb://t110/homes/myfileserver/techieStuff/ubuntu/server/t3400.html

Thanks

Frank

0 Likes

if I understand you haven’t mounted the samba share to a local folder? I would try doing that.
https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-8.html

0 Likes

SublimeText 3 (3176) doesn't open network files (samba share over OpenVPN)
Opening a file in linux from mac

Okay, I’ll follow the steps in the link and let you know what happens.

Thanks

Frank

0 Likes

I tried to follow the steps in the link. Installation of smbfs failed. Verbose error messages ended with "…package smbfs has no installation candidate.
Ubuntu suggested alternate packages - cifs-utils:i386 cifs-utils which also failed with verbose error messages ending with “…have broken packages” All installs were done from the command line.

I’ve found some info on stack exchange/super user that says to use sudo mount …… I’ll give it a try but I didn’t think that a command line mount would be required running from a desktop. Does that sound right?

Thanks

Frank

0 Likes

Here is what I found (modified for my system)
sudo mount -o vers=3.0,username=<your_username>,uid=<your_user_id>,gid=<your_group_id>,forceuid,forcegid, //<ip_address>/<path_to_share> ///<local_system>

It didn’t mount, probably due to permissions, which I can probably work thru but it seems too much trouble. If I use Sublime Text on my windows PC there’s no problems but I’d really like to use Linux

Thanks

Frank

0 Likes

okay, got it to open
starting from fresh boot

boots into terminal
login
start desktop - startx
mount samba share with following command
$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.89/homes/mnt -o user=userid
open SublimeText3
navigate to filesystem/mnt and open selected file

Would rather not have to go thru that every time but I can live with it.

Thanks
Frank

0 Likes

For what it’s worth you can add an appropriate setting in your fstab to set up the mount and make it useable by non root and/or add a command to the rc.local file to do it automatically.

0 Likes

I confirm that this is the way to go. Mount using /etc/fstab in a folder that exists on your machine, and set proper uid and gid in order to have read/write permission

Do not mount using “other locations” of nautilus, since it will mount the share somewhere where ST is not able to write.

0 Likes