Sublime Forum

Build 3126 did something weird with package control and packages

I updated to build 3126 (as prompted by the application) yesterday and found that my Package Control was mildly nuked. I couldn’t invoke the “install packages” from the command palette.

I tried re-installing Package Control via its website instructions, firstly by the command to run in ST3, and when that didn’t work I used the downloaded sublime-package file. I removed the old one from my installed packages first and then re-installed. I still found that didn’t work (I did check “ignored_packages” and Package Control wasn’t listed there).

I vaguely remembered looking through the changelog about the mention of Package Control and I saw that it was in the “Tools” menu, so I re-installed it via that method. ST was back to normal and I could install packages and develop again.

I reopened ST today to start work and I got about 20 dialog messages saying a package couldn’t open due to a loop, or something like that. I mashed the “enter” key to get rid of them and more would pop up, and eventually they all went away. I looked at my settings and ST had placed all my errored packages into the “ignored_packages” setting, so I removed them from the list, and thought maybe a close and reopen of ST was needed (as removing them from the list didn’t reload them in the program).

After reopening ST I didn’t get any dialogs come up, but now all the packages I had installed prior to yesterday had been removed from my computer. They’re not in my menu items, and not in the “Packages” nor “Installed Packages” folder.

Is there some new difference to how ST refers to packages that means I have to re-install all my previous packages again?

2 Likes

Cannot see all Packages in Package Control

Same here, package control disappeared as well as parts of my installed plugins (at least i am uncertain which i had installed)

0 Likes

I wrote these complete clean install proceedings, following them you should be able to keep all your settings when doing a clean install.

0 Likes

ST3(3126): Package Control SSL Cert Invalid Errors, reinstall didn't help

hmmm noticed that in my user settings files package control is listed in the list of ignored packages. and alongside the list of installed packages was completely removed :confused:

0 Likes

So, now you solved the problem? Just put them back to installed packages list, removing them from the ignored packages list.

0 Likes

No that hasn’t solved things at all. I just noted that the package manager was moved in the settings by sublime to the list of ignored packages. After trying to remove the the packages manager from the ignored packages list like you suggested made things worse. now installed themes for examples installed by the package manager which still worked even that the package manager was gone are broken and not working anymore as well. :confused: guess best is to wait for an update to sublime and hope things get fixed somehow there.

0 Likes

Waiting for the other is one of the worst things to do. Do not wait for anyone. For now fight this.

Try reinstall with a complete clean install.

1. Reverting to a clean state (backup your data), if it works, then follow 2:
  2. Complete clean install proceedings

Former, reporting it to the github core issue tracker:

1. https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues
  2. https://github.com/wbond/package_control/issues
0 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the contributions. I instead solved the problem immediately at the time by reinstalling each package. So it seems ST3 build 3126 has a common bug where the Package Control gets a bit munted and ignores/uninstalls previous packages.

Since I reinstalled my Package Control and packages by hand, I missed out on addons_zz’s clean slate install, so I hope that is a viable solution for others who may experience this issue.

0 Likes

The bug is not in Sublime Text, but in Package Control itself. Any help in reproducing the issue and providing a fix would certainly be appreciated.

0 Likes

I had the same problem with Build 3124. I solved it by nuking Build 3124 completely, re-installing Build 3124 from the website, then installing Package Control from the menu item in ST, then installing as many of my old packages as I could remember and changing my settings back according to a list I keep.

When I upgraded to Build 3126, I had no problems, Package Control or otherwise.

1 Like

@wbond would be happy to help but so far i am unsure what i might provide aside the observations i already mentioned in my posts in that thread. especially that i havent done anything with the package manager before or after the update. it just acted like described. just let me know what further infos might need helping you tracking down the issue.

0 Likes

May be it is related to this in some general way:

1. wbond/package_control#1168, The package control sometimes forget to remove 1 or 2 packages from the ignored list, after installing them.
0 Likes

thanks for the headsup @addons_zz . waited at least a few days in case i might have the chance to reproduce things somehow and provide a few more cluese. but did a clean install now. and somehow a good chance for a spring clean and reevaluation of packages and settings in autumn :wink:

0 Likes